24 replies to this topic

#16 EQ76

EQ76

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 10:13 AM

I guess it all has to do with how much a manager really does affect a team? some say it's only by 5 games.. it's hard to tell.. if we have a sucky roster next year, it won't really matter who's managing.. we'll still suck. i think that Sandberg can be a good manager, but so often these guys are only as good as their roster..

the part that makes me not want Sandberg is that if we suck under his lead, his reputation with the organization could be tarnished.. I don't think any of us want that..

As for LaRussa, I think most of us want Dave Duncan and that's the only lure to LaRussa... maybe Tony will retire and Duncan will stay in coaching?

#17 Baseballet

Baseballet

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 01:24 PM

How about Vince Vaughn to manage and Bill Murray as bench coach? And they can play Suicide is Painless during the seventh inning stretch.

#18 dreese

dreese

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationDekalb/Arlington Heights

Posted 14 September 2011 - 09:12 PM

No, Sandberg has no ML experience but he is kinda like a prospect. He was very good in the minors and he understands Chicago and a big market team.

#19 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 02:51 AM

No, Sandberg has no ML experience but he is kinda like a prospect. He was very good in the minors and he understands Chicago and a big market team.

It's all about the upside baby!
Please don't feed the psychos.

#20 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 17 September 2011 - 10:28 AM

Sandberg - hasn't done anything in the Majors as manager at any level. Do you really want that kind of inexperience as the manager? He's never had to deal with players that have a bigger contract than he has. He's never managed under the Chicago media, not to mention heat from Bobby Valentine (ha,ha).

He willingly went to manage in A ball, rode the bus all over the country, and turned every team he has managed into a winner. We all have seen how bad Iowa has been since he left with virtually the same team, and we see how he turned around the Philly triple A team. He dealt with the Chicago media his entire career, I'm sure he knows what he would be getting into. I'm not saying he's the perfect candidate, but he definitely deserves more of a look than Hendry gave him, and there are holes in almost every reason to not hire him.

He's probably the top guy on the list for me, with Girardi right behind him. I like Brenly, but I don't think he'll step out of the booth, his reasons for not wanting to manage this team are still present. I don't really see any of the big name managers coming to Chicago, and I'm not sure any of them are a good fit anyway.

#21 MightyBear

MightyBear

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationPearland, Texas

Posted 28 September 2011 - 03:31 PM

1. Sandberg

2. Sandberg

3. Sandberg

4. Sandberg

Best candidate for several reasons. Everybody says they're glad Sandberg didn't get the job because this team isn't that good. How do we know he wouldn't have made them better? Q screwed up so many times this year, it's possible Ryno makes a huge difference. You don't get too many chances in life to right a wrong. New GM should hire Sandberg as manager.

#22 Spencer

Spencer

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationValparaiso, IN

Posted 30 September 2011 - 12:05 AM

sooo.....Terry Francona looking like a possibility right now.

#23 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,637 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 30 September 2011 - 06:24 AM

sooo.....Terry Francona looking like a possibility right now.

He certainly would fit - large market, blend of rookies and vets, good track record - but he'd be expensive. And I'm not sure if he'll want to come to another rabid place unless Epstein is coming, too.

#24 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 06:34 AM

Who you callin' rabid??
Please don't feed the psychos.

#25 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 30 September 2011 - 12:00 PM

Honestly I like Sandberg and think he's going to be a good manager, I think my favorite choice would be Bob Brenly. He says a lot of things that make sense and doesn't seem like he'd get rattled by the Chicago media. Also he kind of reminds me of Bill Cowher, there may be something to that with their attitude and all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).