#1 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,639 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:01 AM

Figured it would be handy to have a designated spot for us all to ask our prospect questions to the resident guru. So, this is where you do that.

Don't feel compelled to ask just for the sake of asking, but if the mood should strike you, find this thread, and fire away.

#2 Crockett

Crockett

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:32 AM

What are the rules, if any, about disagreeing with Luke in this specific thread? Should we take them to another thread? I just don't know if you/he want this one getting muddied with other opinions vs. just more of a Q/A for him.

#3 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:32 AM

What are the rules, if any, about disagreeing with Luke in this specific thread? Should we take them to another thread? I just don't know if you/he want this one getting muddied with other opinions vs. just more of a Q/A for him.

Rule 462.32.B.%._.543 states:

YOU WILL NEVER, EVER, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE DISAGREE WITH LUKE.

Rule 462.32.B.%._.543.A states:

Anyone caught disagreeing with Luke shall be drawn and quartered in the public square.

#4 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:42 AM

What if I disagree with Hansman's disagreeable assessment of Crocket's potential disagreements with Luke?

#5 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:43 AM

I have no problems with disagreements, but debates should probably be kicked into a different thread.

And don't feel like all questions need to start here. Some questions are big enough to deserve their own thread initially, and feel free to create them. For example, if you want to ask about the Cubs starting lineup in 2015, that's probably a thread. If you want to tell me how horribly wrong I am for thinking that Matt Szczur is going to push Brett Jackson into right field, that's also probably a thread. If you want to ask what I think of Dallas Beeler, this might be good place to ask.

#6 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:43 AM

What if I disagree with Hansman's disagreeable assessment of Crocket's potential disagreements with Luke?

I'm not sure, but I have a feeling it will involve buying Michigan Goat a beer.

#7 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:56 AM

Then I will remain -- as always -- agreeable.

#8 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:24 PM

Goodness, do you people think this is America where you can spout about anything you want? NO, this is Soviet BN - you don't disagree with BN, BN disagrees with you.

#9 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,639 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:52 PM

Yeah, I figure if a debate/extended discussion about a prospect/subject arises, we should probably start a separate thread for it.

#10 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:24 PM

Then I will remain -- as always -- agreeable.

Damn I think we need to revise the bylaw so that sending me beers is a prerequisite of asking questions.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#11 Robbo

Robbo

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:17 PM

Luke, the last Cub to come up from the farm and become a durable front end starter was Big Z. Which prospects have the potential to be the next top tier SP?

#12 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:09 AM

Luke, the last Cub to come up from the farm and become a durable front end starter was Big Z. Which prospects have the potential to be the next top tier SP?

I'm going to define 'top tier' as a No. 1 or No. 2 starter - think Matt Garza. Top tier is often used to refer to the very elite pitchers like Verlander, but for the sake of this answer I'm going to widen the net a little.

Trey McNutt and Dillon Maples are the top two candidates, but both need to work on their off speed stuff. There are a number of other candidates who can pitch themselves into that status, but it is too early to project them to that level with any confidence just yet.

#13 Crockett

Crockett

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:00 AM

I'm going to define 'top tier' as a No. 1 or No. 2 starter - think Matt Garza. Top tier is often used to refer to the very elite pitchers like Verlander, but for the sake of this answer I'm going to widen the net a little.

Trey McNutt and Dillon Maples are the top two candidates, but both need to work on their off speed stuff. There are a number of other candidates who can pitch themselves into that status, but it is too early to project them to that level with any confidence just yet.

I'd say you have McNutt and then...no one. Maples hasn't even registered any actual minor league innings yet, and coming into the draft he was considered to have one of the best curveballs in the draft. I don't think any legitimate opinions can be made until he pitches at least a year. I've only seen video of him pitching, and his delivery is...awful. I see him as a future RP.

#14 NormB

NormB

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Twitter:nbothwell11
  • LocationBurbs

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:56 AM

I think you can argue that NONE of the Cubs pitchers currently project as #1's or #2's.

#15 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:03 AM

I'd say you have McNutt and then...no one. Maples hasn't even registered any actual minor league innings yet, and coming into the draft he was considered to have one of the best curveballs in the draft. I don't think any legitimate opinions can be made until he pitches at least a year. I've only seen video of him pitching, and his delivery is...awful. I see him as a future RP.

I'm really surprised the Cubs did not decide to spend this past winter and the 2012 season reworking his delivery. I'm not sure why they are content to let him pitch with it, but that's the story I'm hearing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).