#16 Mr. P

Mr. P

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
  • Twitter:@MikePresley31

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:30 PM

I'd say you have McNutt and then...no one. Maples hasn't even registered any actual minor league innings yet, and coming into the draft he was considered to have one of the best curveballs in the draft. I don't think any legitimate opinions can be made until he pitches at least a year. I've only seen video of him pitching, and his delivery is...awful. I see him as a future RP.

I'm really surprised the Cubs did not decide to spend this past winter and the 2012 season reworking his delivery. I'm not sure why they are content to let him pitch with it, but that's the story I'm hearing.

I don't think it is a good idea to rework someone's delivery until we have seen whether it works for them or not. Altering a delivery can most certainly have negative side effects (less movement, location issues, etc.) Let's see what the kid has and suggest minor tweaks at first. If there is glaring issue that needs addressed after we have seen him for an extended amount of time, then I think we could have that discussion.

#17 Crockett

Crockett

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:37 PM

The other issue is that re-working his delivery might just cause an injury or four. Plus, he may prove to not have a starters arsenal or stamina...we have no idea yet. I think his delivery will hold up as an RP, so there may not be a need to change it right now.

#18 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,638 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:07 PM

The other issue is that re-working his delivery might just cause an injury or four. Plus, he may prove to not have a starters arsenal or stamina...we have no idea yet. I think his delivery will hold up as an RP, so there may not be a need to change it right now.

Supposedly, it's his currently delivery that looks like an injury waiting to happen.

#19 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:25 PM

Supposedly, it's his currently delivery that looks like an injury waiting to happen.

Exactly. Besides, the Cubs would have had plenty of opportunity to evaluate his stuff in the instructional league. If they are leaving him alone, I think it means the Cubs are content he can start with those mechanics and he won't hurt himself in the process.

We'll see what happens when he starts to pitch full time.

#20 wvcubsfan

wvcubsfan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationLittle Rock, AR

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:22 PM

I almost hate to even ask this question due to the hate and venom I see spewed from every Cubs site I visit, but hey I'm a gluton for punishment. What do you think of Hayden Simpson's chances to turn things around this year after the terrible case on mono he had last year?

Yes, I'm a little biased since he's an Arkansas kid.

#21 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:31 PM

I almost hate to even ask this question due to the hate and venom I see spewed from every Cubs site I visit, but hey I'm a gluton for punishment. What do you think of Hayden Simpson's chances to turn things around this year after the terrible case on mono he had last year?

Well you're lucky because Luke is one of the few that still thinks he will recover

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#22 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,936 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:34 AM

Well you're lucky because Luke is one of the few that still thinks he will recover

The biggest question is how much muscle and weight can he put back on. I think if he can do that, he can make a comeback. If not, then I feel incredibly bad for the kid, but I hope he has learned his lesson and will not just kiss every cute girl he sees.

#23 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:32 PM

I've had mono (though not that badly) and it takes forever to recover from that. I'm not sure if he'll be back at full strength this season or not, but either way I wouldn't write him off. He's got two plus to plus-plus breaking pitches, four pitches he can throw for strikes, and has already dealt with the worst adversity he's ever likely to see in his career. There is some potential there, if he can just recover enough to tap into it.

If the Cubs feel he can't regain enough average velocity to stick in the rotation for now, they may move him to the bullpen. That might not be a bad idea for 2012, so long as they keep him on a work out program that should build him back up to starting strength and endurance.

All I want to see out of him in 2012 is progress. In my book, we have yet to see the pitcher who was drafted by the Cubs. I'd like to see that pitcher again before I write him off for good.

#24 NormB

NormB

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Twitter:nbothwell11
  • LocationBurbs

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:58 AM

I've had mono (though not that badly) and it takes forever to recover from that. I'm not sure if he'll be back at full strength this season or not, but either way I wouldn't write him off. He's got two plus to plus-plus breaking pitches, four pitches he can throw for strikes, and has already dealt with the worst adversity he's ever likely to see in his career. There is some potential there, if he can just recover enough to tap into it.

If the Cubs feel he can't regain enough average velocity to stick in the rotation for now, they may move him to the bullpen. That might not be a bad idea for 2012, so long as they keep him on a work out program that should build him back up to starting strength and endurance.

All I want to see out of him in 2012 is progress. In my book, we have yet to see the pitcher who was drafted by the Cubs. I'd like to see that pitcher again before I write him off for good.

I guess you'll never write him off for good :)
-
Here's some video with McNutt's delivery if anyone is interested.
http://www.fangraphs...d-with-red-sox/

#25 ced landrum

ced landrum

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:30 AM

Who do you think has the most upside amongst this group of talented young pitchers?
Willengton Cruz
Luis Liria
Yao Lin Wang

#26 ced landrum

ced landrum

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:32 AM

One more: What are your thoughts on Wes Darvill? I have wanted to like him since he was drafted because of his size and athletic ability, but the kid has done virtually nothing yet. Can he be a breakout player this year?

#27 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:13 AM

Who do you think has the most upside amongst this group of talented young pitchers?
Willengton Cruz
Luis Liria
Yao Lin Wang

Right now, I'd rank them (by upside) like this: Wang, Liria, Cruz. Cruz comes in last in part because I don't know as much about him.

That said, I think Liria might have the best shot to reach the majors.

For the time being, I think we can consider all three of them as potential 3 or 4 starters in the majors. They could move up from that, but as young as they are I'd hate to project them any higher.

#28 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:21 AM

One more: What are your thoughts on Wes Darvill? I have wanted to like him since he was drafted because of his size and athletic ability, but the kid has done virtually nothing yet. Can he be a breakout player this year?

He can be, sure. He hasn't done a lot, but he hasn't done anything that worries me either. It can take some time younger players, especially high school draftees, to really adapt and condition themselves to play baseball every day. Darvill should have a great chance to establish himself at short, second, and probably third while playing for Peoria this spring.

#29 Spencer

Spencer

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationValparaiso, IN

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:57 AM

Luke, do you think Chris Rusin is MLB ready? Maybe not for the whole season, but what about as a filler in case someone went down for 2-3 weeks or someone got sent down to work on their stuff? Read: Would Rusin be an acceptable replacement for Volstad?

#30 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:11 AM

Luke, do you think Chris Rusin is MLB ready? Maybe not for the whole season, but what about as a filler in case someone went down for 2-3 weeks or someone got sent down to work on their stuff? Read: Would Rusin be an acceptable replacement for Volstad?

What? Spencer, you don't like Volstad?!?!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).