Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:11 AM

I was calling for Rusin to get a couple major league starts last season, and I'm not changing my tune now. Before the Cubs made some trades and signed Maholm, I thought Rusin would be the No. 5 starter.

But I wouldn't replace Volstad. With the rotation as it is now, Rusin is seventh on my depth chart (behind the current five and Travis Wood). If the Cubs deal a pitcher or two at the trade deadline (Garza and Maholm?), I think Rusin should be one of the guys who comes up.

As for Volstad, I haven't seen enough of him to give up on him yet. When he came to the Cubs, he was billed as a ground ball pitcher. So far, though, his GO/AO is just 1.00. That's way below his career average of 1.48. I'd like to see what he can do when he gets his ground ball inducing stuff going before I ship him off to Iowa.

#32 Spencer

Spencer

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationValparaiso, IN

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:13 AM

Luke, do you think Chris Rusin is MLB ready? Maybe not for the whole season, but what about as a filler in case someone went down for 2-3 weeks or someone got sent down to work on their stuff? Read: Would Rusin be an acceptable replacement for Volstad?

What? Spencer, you don't like Volstad?!?!

I know. I've been so quiet about it, right??

#33 Spencer

Spencer

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationValparaiso, IN

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:20 AM

Thanks for the insight!

#34 BlueHorizons

BlueHorizons

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationMishawaka, Indiana

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:46 AM

If the Cubs deal a pitcher or two at the trade deadline (Garza and Maholm?)

Do you think Maholm is potential trade bait? I hope not... in my annual Cubs vs. Sox Prop Bet I have with a White Sox fan friend (uhh, is that possible?), one of the categories is the Triple Crown (Pitchers), where we each pick three pitchers who then compete in 3 sub categories... If Maholm could potentially exit the Cubs organization, I'm in a world of hurt, as my three selections are Dempster, Garza and Maholm. I could be left without a single survivor in July... Not good!

#35 JCubs79

JCubs79

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Twitter:clarkj79
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:45 PM

Luke,

What's your guess on the next Cub to make his debut this season?

Any chance we see Rusin or Beliveau up soon? I think they could really help our bullpen out.

#36 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:49 PM

Beliveau or Adrian Cardenas are most likely the next two guys to make their Cub debuts, and either one could probably come up at any time. Dave Sappelt will be up if there is an injury or trade, but probably not otherwise.

Anthony Rizzo will be up this year, but we have a lot of baseball to play before then.

#37 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 03 May 2012 - 04:52 PM

Luke, What do you think of Frank Batista now that he's pitched a few games at the higher levels? He only pitched 5 games for the Smokies before being promoted and has been lights out in his 3 appearances at Iowa. Any chance that he was promoted so fast because Theo and Jed see something in him? I think he needs more experience at the higher levels, but if he stays pitching the way he has through June or so, he could be in Chicago before we know it. He doesn't have overpowering stuff, he just throws strikes, which could be a Godsend for the Cubs. What do you think?

#38 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:15 PM

I think he was promoted to Iowa because Iowa needed a bullpen arm right then (they had just sent Maine to Chicago and the bullpen had been worked hard recently), and Batista was pitching well and was rested and ready to go. It was a combination of circumstance and performance more than just his performance, I think.

I like Batista, but I wouldn't put him on a top prospects list. He doesn't have any standout pitches. He doesn't even have that great of stuff according to the scouts, but he does work efficiently and get outs. Since he does a nice job getting grounders (in addition to strikeouts when he needs them) I think he'll do alright in the majors. I don't think he'll be a major league closer... as nice as that sounds right about now... but I could see him being a valuable mix of the seventh or eighth inning puzzle.

It'll be interesting to see how he is doing in Iowa in another six weeks. I don't expect to see him in Chicago this season (except maybe Sept. (barring an injury)) but I think he could be one of the stories next spring.

#39 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:18 PM

Luke

I am going to an Indianapolis Indians Vs Loiusville Slugers game tonight. Who should I be keeping an eye on.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#40 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:57 PM

I wish I had checked here earlier. You are no doubt at the game by now.

Hopefully you had / are having a great time.

#41 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:18 AM

I wish I had checked here earlier. You are no doubt at the game by now.

Hopefully you had / are having a great time.

Not a problem. It was a last minute question as I was getting ready to leave for the park. I knew I wasn't going to be able to look it up myself (wrangling a 8, 6 and 6 month old (not to mention the wife)).

We had a great time. We purchased tickets at the gate and got row L right in front of the pitchers mound in the bullpen up the 1st base line. The crowd was a lot larger than I thought it would be (it's been 10 years since I last went). It felt like a Cubs game. Both starting pitchers shut down the offenses. Then came the bull pens and they started to score some runs. There were a couple of home runs that were pulled foul, and a couple of pick-offs at 1st base. All in all a good time with the cherry on top being the fireworks after the game.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#42 chirogerg1

chirogerg1

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:26 PM

Hey Luke,
What are your thoughts about Taiwan Easterling. He seems to have a good day every time I see a Cheifs Boxscore

#43 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:35 PM

Hey Luke,
What are your thoughts about Taiwan Easterling. He seems to have a good day every time I see a Cheifs Boxscore

Easterling caught me by surprise last season. He was drafted in the middle rounds and signed quickly... under the old CBA, that combination did not usually point to a notable prospect. And then he went on a tear and finished the season in High A Daytona. Needless to say, he got my attention.

There is some potential there, I think. While he has a little power, I think his game is going to be about getting on base and using his speed. In that regard he is similar to Evan Crawford and Pin-Chieh Chen. I've heard no complaints about his defense in center, and I strongly suspect he could handle any of the outfield slots.

Long term, I think his best path to the majors as is a fourth or fifth outfielder. I don't see him as a potential regular starter, but he is the kind of guy teams could like to have on the bench. He has a ways to go in order to reach that goal, though. I wouldn't bet on him at this stage, but I wouldn't count him out either.

#44 Segal27

Segal27

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Twitter:Segal27
  • LocationBuffalo Grove

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:36 PM

Luke, What is Shawon Dunston's ceiling?

#45 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 June 2012 - 11:07 PM

Luke, What is Shawon Dunston's ceiling?

Major league starting center fielder and lead off hitter. I'm not sure how good of a starting center fielder just yet, nor am I sure how likely he is to reach that ceiling, but that's the ceiling.

Reports are that Dunston has impressed some people in extend spring training. The Cubs knew he was a good athlete, but it turns out he may be more polished as a baseball player than they expected him to be at this stage.

But keep in mind... it's extended spring training. Stats from Ext ST, like regular spring training, are virtually worthless.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).