Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:02 PM

Luke, What is Shawon Dunston's ceiling?

Probably painted sheetrock. Possibly plaster.

#48 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,646 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:57 PM

Luke, What is Shawon Dunston's ceiling?

Probably painted sheetrock. Possibly plaster.

Anything but popcorn.

#49 Segal27

Segal27

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Twitter:Segal27
  • LocationBuffalo Grove

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:42 PM

thanks guys! those were all extremely helpful! especially yours Brett!

#50 Drew

Drew

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Twitter:@Drew7
  • LocationUrbana, IL

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:49 PM

Luke- Are you as impressed with the amount of plate-discipline showing in Tennessee? .251/.336 as a team and in the Southern League seems very promising, not to mention Junior Lake tearing it up.

Also, what's your opinion on John Andreoli? Doesnt look like he will have enough power to have a great deal of success, but seems patient with some good speed. Do you see him as a 4th/5th OF type?

#51 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:02 PM

I like a lot of things I'm seeing in Tennessee, including the patience. But it isn't just Tennessee. While team OBP are varying, there a number of guys in the farm system who seem more than happy to take a walk. Zeke DeVoss, for instance, and Anthony Rizzo. It's a good trend.

I also like that, system wide, it seems like the Cubs have become more aggressive on the bases. I am regularly seeing three or more steals per game in Daytona, and Peoria is getting into that territory. That's another good trend.

As for Andreoli, so far as I can tell he could stay in center field. Should that be the case, he might make a decent starting CF. He shows signs of plate discipline, an ability to hit for a fair average, and enough speed to steal some bases. With a good glove, that can get by in center.

I suspect he has some power coming, as well. He's 6'1", 215 lbs. Guys that size do not tend to slug .352 (his current season number).

Long term, I definitely think he has 4/5 outfield potential, and I would not yet rule him out of the starting CF conversation. He has a lot of candidates to climb over to reach either of plateaus, but he is off to a good start in his first full season as a pro.

#52 Drew

Drew

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationUrbana, IL

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:30 PM

Good stuff, Luke. Glad to hear there are still some relative unknowns from the draft last year showing real promise.

I'm not sure I'm on board with all the running, though. Both the teams you mentioned are getting caught 25-30% of the time. I suppose though, If these guys are going to run regardless of what level they are at, I'd rather them do it in Peoria and Daytona instead of Chicago.

#53 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:00 PM

Stealing bases is a skill that involves more than just speed. The more experience a runner gets reading pitchers, pick off moves, judging their leads, and so forth in the minors, the better off they'll be in the majors.

It's important to keep in mind that players in the minor are still learning and improving their game. Just because a player struggles in one area now does not mean that will be the case when the player reaches the majors. In fact, struggles now could turn out be a good thing if the player addresses that part of his game before he reaches the majors.

#54 wvcubsfan

wvcubsfan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationLittle Rock, AR

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:30 PM

Anyone watching the Baylor / Arkansas game? I'm kind of conflicted since the Baylor pitcher is a Cubs draftee and he's pitching against my Hogs.

#55 Drew

Drew

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationUrbana, IL

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:36 PM

Stealing bases is a skill that involves more than just speed. The more experience a runner gets reading pitchers, pick off moves, judging their leads, and so forth in the minors, the better off they'll be in the majors.

It's important to keep in mind that players in the minor are still learning and improving their game. Just because a player struggles in one area now does not mean that will be the case when the player reaches the majors. In fact, struggles now could turn out be a good thing if the player addresses that part of his game before he reaches the majors.

Luke, I know stealing bases is more than just speed, which is why I said Id rather them be getting caught stealing at these levels rather than Chicago. I suppose I cohld have been more clear, but the two things I wanted to get across were: A) I'm not a fan of the SB, BUT...B) If the organization as a whole will atempt more SB's, by all means, let the kids get better at it in minors.

#56 chirogerg1

chirogerg1

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 01:41 PM

Couple things:
Do you have scouting reports for late rounders such as Bote and Wiseman and what do you think of those two?

What's up with Reggie Golden? Mayo has him at No. 8 (7 when Rizzo gets taken off in the next update) in the Cubs organization. He's been on the DL for ever. Is his injury super serious? Could he still become a big-time prospect later in his career?

#57 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 28 June 2012 - 01:50 PM

Golden is out for the year. He blew out his knee sometime ago and had season ending surgery. He still has a lot of potential, but we really have not seen enough of him to know how he is progressing as a player. He'll probably return to Peoria early next season looking to make up for lost time, but by then he'll be passed by Soler and Almora on the outfield prospect chart. I don't think he'll be a Top 10 guy on any lists this winter.

Wiseman is almost certainly not going to sign.

Bote is not very big, but I have not heard any concerns about his ability to stay at short or second base (yet). Judging from his amateur numbers, he looks like his game will be built around getting on base more than punishing the ball. Then again, he did hit a home run in his first Rookie League game.

#58 Cubsin

Cubsin

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationO'Fallon, IL 62269

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:07 PM

Luke, what's your assessment of P.J. Francescon and Matt Loosen?

#59 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:52 AM

Luke, what's your assessment of P.J. Francescon and Matt Loosen?

I like them both. Both have had somewhat of a breakout season this year, so I'd like to see them repeat that success at a higher level before I get too excited, but I think both are fairly promising. Francescon looks to me like a potential No 3 guy. Loosen might be a little better than that.

We should get a better idea on Loosen in particular next season when he heads to Tennessee.

#60 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:24 AM

non-prospect question: did you go to college in the U-Maryland system? I found out I can get free grad school after my Dad teaches another year at the pharmacy school. I was just wondering what it's like.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).