#76 TonyP

TonyP

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationSE Kansas

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:18 PM

If the Cubs deal a pitcher or two at the trade deadline (Garza and Maholm?)

Do you think Maholm is potential trade bait? I hope not... in my annual Cubs vs. Sox Prop Bet I have with a White Sox fan friend (uhh, is that possible?), one of the categories is the Triple Crown (Pitchers), where we each pick three pitchers who then compete in 3 sub categories... If Maholm could potentially exit the Cubs organization, I'm in a world of hurt, as my three selections are Dempster, Garza and Maholm. I could be left without a single survivor in July... Not good!

you are screwed

#77 BlueHorizons

BlueHorizons

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationMishawaka, Indiana

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:12 AM

If the Cubs deal a pitcher or two at the trade deadline (Garza and Maholm?)

Do you think Maholm is potential trade bait? I hope not... in my annual Cubs vs. Sox Prop Bet I have with a White Sox fan friend (uhh, is that possible?), one of the categories is the Triple Crown (Pitchers), where we each pick three pitchers who then compete in 3 sub categories... If Maholm could potentially exit the Cubs organization, I'm in a world of hurt, as my three selections are Dempster, Garza and Maholm. I could be left without a single survivor in July... Not good!

you are screwed

Understatement City! Yeah, that TC Pitcher category is pretty much pooched. We DID add a clause so that we could each select an alternate player that can be activated if (and only if) a trade should eliminate one of our selected players. I knew there would be at least one trade this season! Now, my "three" pitchers are Samardzija.

My TC batters selected were Soriano, Castro and Byrd. With Marlon Byrd's horrible start and subsequent trade, I've been hurting in THAT category all season, too. I did myself no favors with my alternate selection, either. Hearing all of the rave reviews of B-Jax during spring training, I got caught up in the moment and made him my alternate, thinking that he would be the first called up to the Bigs. (I considered selecting Rizzo, but thought he was blocked by LaHair) If only I'd been wise enough to foresee the season that Rizzo has had! Oh well, at least my batters selections are finally filled - at least until Soriano gets dealt!

Out of the 7 categories in my prop bet wager, I am losing 7-0. Just makes me hate the White Sox even more!

#78 MightyBear

MightyBear

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationPearland, Texas

Posted 30 August 2012 - 11:01 AM

Luke,

Are you covering the AFL this fall or is Brett? Or are you both going to tag team it? Just curious.

#79 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 31 August 2012 - 06:12 PM

Luke,

Are you covering the AFL this fall or is Brett? Or are you both going to tag team it? Just curious.

We haven't made concrete plans, but I imagine we'll tag team it in some form.

Bleacher Nation will definitely have coverage, though, and I'm sure we'll both be part of it.

#80 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:08 PM

I moved to the East Shore for an internship. Are there any Cubs affiliates who play teams near us?

#81 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:21 PM

I moved to the East Shore for an internship. Are there any Cubs affiliates who play teams near us?

Well, you can take Amtrac from Baltimore/D.C. all the way down to Daytona to see the High A affiliate play, or you can drive down Skyline Drive to Kodak, TN to watch the Double A Smokies.

That's about as close as it gets.

I will almost certainly be repeating my late August trip to Tennessee this year.

#82 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:14 PM

I just wanna say great job on the prospects list this year I'm glad I'm not the only one who is higher on Soler than most people

#83 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:12 PM

Thanks.

#84 Kygavin

Kygavin

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Twitter:@kygavin
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:05 PM

Luke,
Just curious and I dont mean to like "call you out" or anything but how many of the guys in your top 40 have you seen live? like I said just curious and sorry if this has been already asked

#85 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:10 PM

If we limit it to watching in person (which seems like a silly restriction in the days of online video that provide better camera angles than virtually any seat in any ballpark) not all, but quite a few. If they were drafted before 2012 and played higher than Boise, there's a pretty good chance I watched them at least once.

#86 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:16 AM

Hey Luke, questions about Dunston Jr. First, though - I really like him. He works hard and I like the tools he appears to have. A little concerned about his bat and his lack of power though. Should I be? Do you know how he projects power wise and what do you think about his hit tool? Do you think he'll go to Kane County to start or have another extended spring?

#87 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:35 PM

I wouldn't worry about the lack of power yet. He's too young for one thing, and his best weapon will always be his speed for another.

The hitting concerns me as well, but right now it is hard to separate lack of experience versus lack of ability. The numbers are, by and large, not what I'd like to see, but there aren't really enough of them to go on.

He should, at worst, be the primary CF in Boise this year. I think he is likely to get a long look at KC - all the more so now that Almora is injured - but I'm not sure there is room in that outfield all year long. Part of it depends on fast Soler rises as well.

#88 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:56 PM

who out of the top 50 prospects you listed is the most likely to come out of nowhere and have a breakout season?

#89 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:03 PM

Amaya. And because of the "out of nowhere" clause, it isn't particularly close. It is remarkable how overlooked that guy is.

Keep an eye on Reed and Scott among the pitchers also.

#90 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:27 PM

TYPO I meant "outside" whoops.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).