Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:17 AM

TYPO I meant "outside" whoops.

You've brainwashed me, Mitten. When I first read this, I was sitting here trying to figure out what the heck the acronym for TYPO stood for.

SMH
- diehard fanclub member #002

#92 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:36 AM

typos are a big problem on the internet read more at my typo riddled blog!

#93 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:47 PM

Outside the Top 50 (making that 40), eh?

That's more interesting. Let me get back to you on that one.

#94 Cheryl

Cheryl

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:00 PM

Will you assess Vogelbach's defense and what he does in terms of another position? Or do those questions belong elsewhere?

#95 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:38 PM

Will you assess Vogelbach's defense and what he does in terms of another position? Or do those questions belong elsewhere?

Those questions are fine here, but I don't have a lot more to add beyond what I have written recently.

Defensively, Vogelbach is a first baseman at best. There is little chance of him moving to the outfield, and virtual no chance of him moving to third. All he has to do is be not terrible at first and let his bat carry him up the system.

#96 Cheryl

Cheryl

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:44 PM

Thanks, Luke. I've not heard much positive about his defense so have been curious beyond what has already been written on BN.

#97 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:17 AM

Hey Luke,
I was a little disappointed in some of the minor league assignments this year, especially some of the young pitching talent. I was a little surprised that virtually all of the younger 2012 draft choices are being left in Mesa/Boise instead of Kane County. I'm talking about McNeil, Blackburn, Lang, Underwood, and Prieto. I know the answer lies in their ages, but it seems like the Cubs take this to a different level. Almost like you have to be 21 or 22 to go to the low minors if you're a Cubs pitching prospect.

All the guys I mentioned pitched in rookie league competition. The Kane County roster doesn't hardly have anyone who you might consider young for the league or even average age. I guess my question is, do you think the Cubs are possibly being too cautious with these guys? Or is it all about putting them in a position to succeed? I'm just a bit disappointed that some aren't being challenged a little more. Just wondering what your thoughts on this are. Thanks!

Also a little disappointed that Dunston isn't on the Cougars! especially with Almora hurt (by the way, in batting practice, he was playing the outfield left handed in Mesa the other day -- Almora that is - and looking really sharp too!).

#98 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:16 PM

I'm not sure the phrase too cautious has a meaning when talking about pitching prospects in the year after they were taken out of high school.

Keep in mind that a lot.. if not all... of those guys are going to be a fairly strict innings/pitches limit, and that limit probably will not allow for them to pitch a full minor league season. As pitchers start dropping due to injury in the higher level teams (and that will happen), pitchers will move up from Kane County creating openings for some of the more advanced arms to start filtering up from Arizona. And the rest will go to Boise.

Kane County actually has the second youngest offense in the Midwest League. Pitching wise they are the fifth older, but they are still just barely older than league average. Given the depth of quality (but not elite) arms in the Cubs low minors, I'm not sure there is anything here to be concerned about.

#99 ced landrum

ced landrum

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:39 AM

Hey Luke,
I was a little disappointed in some of the minor league assignments this year, especially some of the young pitching talent. I was a little surprised that virtually all of the younger 2012 draft choices are being left in Mesa/Boise instead of Kane County. I'm talking about McNeil, Blackburn, Lang, Underwood, and Prieto. I know the answer lies in their ages, but it seems like the Cubs take this to a different level. Almost like you have to be 21 or 22 to go to the low minors if you're a Cubs pitching prospect.

All the guys I mentioned pitched in rookie league competition. The Kane County roster doesn't hardly have anyone who you might consider young for the league or even average age. I guess my question is, do you think the Cubs are possibly being too cautious with these guys? Or is it all about putting them in a position to succeed? I'm just a bit disappointed that some aren't being challenged a little more. Just wondering what your thoughts on this are. Thanks!

Also a little disappointed that Dunston isn't on the Cougars! especially with Almora hurt (by the way, in batting practice, he was playing the outfield left handed in Mesa the other day -- Almora that is - and looking really sharp too!).

Keep in mind too, that there is nothing to say that a guy or two can't be promoted to KC in May or June. They may need to work on a few things in ext. first. I'm thinking someone who is supposed to be a bit more polished like Blackburn could get that kind of bump. Now it isn't likely but it could happen. They have done this with position players like Baez.

#100 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 385 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 06 April 2013 - 05:06 PM

Blackburn is young, he needs to log innings and get rocked a little more to build up his skin. He started off shaky, then went on a good stretch, and then ended the season a little shaky.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).