#1 hardtop

hardtop

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationThe Queen City of the Plains

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:44 AM

Lots of turnover this year, lots of new guys to become aquainted with. I think its time we start thinking about nicknames for the 2012 team. It shows affection from the fans to the players, and i think this group of players are going to need affection!

Here's some, most are re-treads from similar conversations from last year.... which Quade definitely made the year of the nickname.

LF- Fonzarelli

CF- “Harvey Byrdman” – Attorney at Law

RF- Nobody Fucks with “the Jesus” man

3B- I need some help with Stewey, mostly because I don’t like the nickname Stewey (it’s too reminiscent of Quade). When I hear “Ian” I think of Ian MacKaye. When I think of Ian MacKaye, I think of his band, Minor Threat. When I think of Ian Stewart’s offense, at least the last two seasons, I also think of Minor Threat. I think it’s a perfect nickname but kind of pessimistic entering a season.

SS- El Comandante (of Fidel Castro’s many nicknames I like this one for Starlin the best, sure beats “Cassie” or whatever Quade called him)

2B- DarBar (I swear I invented this nickname on bleacher nation last season: I need to ask him if he’s heard it before, it showed up on his Wikipedia page a week later)

1B- The Werewolf or LaHair Bear, depending on how he performs. How did I arrive at Werewolf? In no reasonable manner whatsoever. Every time I hear or read his name I immediately insert it into the Warren Zevon song: Instead of "his hair was perfect" I think "La-Hair was perfect” so he's the LaHair-wolf in London. I know, I know, that’s pretty stupid. What else you got?

C- I’ve been referring to Soto as Metro for a few years. The obvious link is the Geo part but he also has “dark” eyes, kind of looks like he’s wearing guy-liner. I don’t really think of him as 3 cylinder shit box. I’d like a better one, but we’ll see if he’s on the team long enough to constitute some extra effort.

SP- Demp or Dumpster, depending on how he pitches (I really wouldn’t call him Dumpster, guy tries to hard)

SP- Shnoz or Shnozberries (yes, I know it’s actually snozberries, and I know they taste like snozberries). I cant get over Matt Garza’s nose… and this is coming from a guy with big f’d up nose.

SP- Shark (I have no idea where this comes from and, apparently, neither does he, but it’s an awesome nickname)

SP- Volstad? Hmmm, he’s big… maybe Voltron? I think I can do better, I’ll work on it.

SP- Maholm, I have no idea. Something off the first name though: ”hello, Newman”. He’s a lefty, Paw and Paul sound similar, so theres the obvious “South Paul”. Ooh, how about “The Blue Ox” as in Paul Bunyan.

I’ve got nothing.

#2 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:54 AM

3B ... When I hear “Ian” I think of Ian MacKaye. When I think of Ian MacKaye, I think of his band, Minor Threat. When I think of Ian Stewart’s offense, at least the last two seasons, I also think of Minor Threat. I think it’s a perfect nickname but kind of pessimistic entering a season.

Hahahaha. Minor Threat is way too hardcore for Ian Stewart. Maybe Disco Stu.

I can't believe you don't think of Fugazi when you think of MacKaye though.

#3 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:55 AM

And, yeah, now I'm probably gonna spend the morning listening to Fugazi...

#4 hardtop

hardtop

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:34 AM

And, yeah, now I'm probably gonna spend the morning listening to Fugazi...

I'm already through steady diet of nothing this morning. Every Friday, when my boss is golfing, its Fugazi time.

Fugazi definitely is my first thought, truthfully... but nothing jumps out at me that readily applies to Ian Stewart... Minor Threat was an easy one... as in, the threat of him hitting is minor.

#5 FFP

FFP

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationWorcester County, Massachusetts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:07 AM

Bryan Lahair could go by his hometown in Massachusetts, Worcester. Pronounced "Wistah" But that would make him "Mistah Wistah Lahaya" What d'ya think, Denver?

#6 hardtop

hardtop

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:25 AM

Bryan Lahair could go by his hometown in Massachusetts, Worcester. Pronounced "Wistah" But that would make him "Mistah Wistah Lahaya" What d'ya think, Denver?

dude, thats funny. i love it.
did my distaste for stewart give away my locale? howd you know i was in denvah.

#7 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:56 AM

Probably the "Queen City of the Plains" under your avatar.

NP: Fugazi - In On The Kill Taker!

#8 hardtop

hardtop

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:01 PM

Probably the "Queen City of the Plains" under your avatar.

NP: Fugazi - In On The Kill Taker!

huh, yeah, i didn't know that descriptor was common knowledge. i didn't learn it until i moved out here. but then again, I'm not very smart.

good choice IOTKT. Im putting it on right now.

#9 FFP

FFP

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationWorcester County, Massachusetts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:06 PM

Me neither. Google knows all. Google and Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).