#1 Mr. P

Mr. P

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
  • Twitter:@MikePresley31

Posted 01 April 2012 - 07:45 AM

Looks like the two didn't come to terms last night so WGN has been removed from Directv for the time being. Hopefully something gets resolved before opening day.

http://directvpromis...ng-negotiation/

#2 Crockett

Crockett

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:04 AM

Ya this sucks. I live in the Denver area, so I guess I'll have to consider purchasing Extra Innings.

#3 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:40 PM

Does anyone have a clue how long this is going to go on? This really really sucks. I have Dierctv & live inside the obsurdly large blackout area. So I can't even get extra innings to watch them.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#4 Mr. P

Mr. P

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:45 AM

Does anyone have a clue how long this is going to go on? This really really sucks. I have Dierctv & live inside the obsurdly large blackout area. So I can't even get extra innings to watch them.

Hard to tell at this point, usually this kind of thing gets resolved at the last minute before the channel goes dark. I know this happened with Fox and Directv a few months ago but we never lost any programming.

I'm in the same boat as you are, Extra Innings won't help me either. I really have no desire to leave Directv but I really don't want to miss Cubs games either. How many more years do we have to wait for a Cubs network again?

#5 Ben in Nebraska

Ben in Nebraska

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Twitter:@TheRealBenBrush
  • LocationOutside Omaha, NE

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:35 AM

The whole blackout thing is a joke. I live just outside of Omaha, NE and when I had the Extra Innings package a few years ago the Kansas City Royals games got blacked out frequently because they were Omaha's "home town team." For one thing, outside of having their AAA affiliate there are more Cubs, Yankees and Cardinals fans in this town. Secondly, it's a four hour drive that nobody really makes anyhow, let alone on a Tuesday night game against the Orioles! Thankfully, I'm not a Royals fan either, especially a few years back. This year's team may actually be fun to watch. Another fine example of MLB not seeing the big picture.

And yes, I realize none of this has anything to do with WGN on DirecTV... but I had to vent!

#6 Dave

Dave

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationSpringfield, MO

Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:44 PM

On the bright side for DIRECTV users, we can fall back on the MLB Extra Innings free preview for the Cubs opener on Thursday if this Tribune thing isn't resolved, looks like the preview period is 4/5-4/16.

#7 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:21 PM

On the bright side for DIRECTV users, we can fall back on the MLB Extra Innings free preview for the Cubs opener on Thursday if this Tribune thing isn't resolved, looks like the preview period is 4/5-4/16.

Does anyone know if blackout rules still apply? If not you just made my week! I was planning on taking off work and try to find a bar with the game on for opening day.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#8 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:29 PM

My guess is that yes the blackout rules apply, those ridicolus outdated rules are quite universal. My brother didn't get that package because the Cubs are blacked out in Indianapolis.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#9 Dave

Dave

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:39 PM

I believe blackout rules apply. Not sure if they apply to both teams broadcasts, you may be able to watch the game on the Nationals broadcast. Not sure on that.

#10 Mr. P

Mr. P

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:55 PM

If normal blackout rules apply then we won't be able to get the Nationals feed either. I really hate both Directv and the Trib right now.

#11 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:19 PM

If normal blackout rules apply then we won't be able to get the Nationals feed either. I really hate both Directv and the Trib right now.

National TV broadcast don't apply as do WGN games, it's the total game packages that have blackouts. This was covered the the MLB at Bat app discussion.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

#12 Meredith

Meredith

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Twitter:meredithjevans
  • LocationWrigleyville

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:59 AM

I know around here you can still get WGN in bunny ear or comcast form. I guarantee the local best buys sell out of converter boxes and antennas shortly. How far does WGN broadcast for?

#13 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:08 AM

I know around here you can still get WGN in bunny ear or comcast form. I guarantee the local best buys sell out of converter boxes and antennas shortly. How far does WGN broadcast for?

Yeah that only works for the Chicagoland area (if that) the unfortunate folks in The Blackout State of Iowa can't get the signal.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

#14 Dave

Dave

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:12 PM

Will the Tribune spat effect MLB Extra Innings? I'm not in the Cubs blackout zone (I do get blacked out of Cards and Royals games) so I should have access to both the WGN feed as well as whoever carries the Nats, but if the blackout extends to Extra Innings I'm going to be stuck watching the Nats' feed and listen to their broadcasters jerk off all over Strasburg.

#15 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:19 PM

@WGNTV: .@directtv customers turn on your tv to wgn. Its over. #directv

Everyone can take a breath

MichiganGoat on Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).