Bleacher Nation is on Facebook, and you should totally "Like" us:

Bleacher Nation is also on Twitter, and you should totally follow us:

Upcoming Calendar Events

There are no forthcoming calendar events

Today's birthdays

No members are celebrating a birthday today

Photo

Des Moines to Wrigley - Need BNrs' help :)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Still Love the Cubs

Still Love the Cubs

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:35 AM

Hey guys,

My wife and I have only been to one game at Wrigley ever. I'm a huge Cubs fan but we haven't had the money in recent years to do it more than once.

I got tickets for the Friday May 18th game against the White Sox but I need a little help.

What do you guys usually do to get there?

We like to drive but I've heard from some to park outside of town and ride the train in. I've heard from others that they like to stay in downtown hotels. We are probably going to make a weekend of it so I'm just wondering what all you others who come from Des Moines usually do to make it as easy as possible.

Also, anything else to do in the city that you would definitely recommend? We have been to Navy Pier before but that's about it.

Thanks in advance to any of the BN faithful who are willing to help a guy trying to make a nice time for his wife. :)

#2 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,646 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:51 AM

Staying downtown and hopping on the L to get up to Wrigley is VERY easy. If you're going to make a weekend of it anyway, that would be my recommendation.

#3 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:20 AM

I always park the car at one of the many park and ride places outside the city and take the red/blue line into town. It only a few dollars a day to park there and it saves you all the headaches and parking costs of driving into Wrigley. It does make for a hour+ train ride but I'd rather do that than drive through the city and pay $20+ to park.

Btw have fun the economy has really stopped me from going to games, hopefully this year I can save enough to get there.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#4 hawkcub

hawkcub

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationN.E. Iowa

Posted 01 April 2012 - 02:54 PM

I am from N.E. Iowa and have made the trip many times my reccomodation is to stay downtown (River North) in one of the many hotels. Will be more expensive but worth it. One time I stayed by O'hare because hotels downtown were going for $600 a night because of a giant convention being in town. It took me a hour to get to Wrigley by taking the blue line and then a bus. Was a real pain.

Also by staying in the downtown area you will be close the the Magnigicent Mile (shopping area) if your wife is into that. Some other fun places are the field museum,John Hancock Obervetory (great view of the city),Chicago Historical Museum. All of these places will probably be packed on a Saturday though. There are many other things to do also but this should give you a start.

You can go to a nice restuarunt too. I go to Open table.com to make reservations and look at some of the reviews and such. Hope that helps.

Oh if you stay downtown take the redline (toward Howard this is North) to the Addison stop. Wrigley is right there. If you stay anywhere the CTA (Chicago Transit Authority) goes go on there site and get a visitor pass. Here's a link on where to buy the pass:
http://faremedia.chi...DepartmentId=34
You can go anywhere in the city for the specified time frame with one of these (Bus or train).

#5 MaxM1908

MaxM1908

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Twitter:legalcubbieblue

Posted 01 April 2012 - 02:54 PM

I agree with Brett. You should try to find a hotel with parking in River North or Lincoln Park. That way, Wrigley Field is easily accessible and you will be in a nice part of a Chicago to explore and make a weekend of it. If you're worried about driving into Chicago, you could consider MegaBus from Des Moines. It's not as enjoyable or quick as driving, but it's probably cheaper than gas and parking.

#6 Still Love the Cubs

Still Love the Cubs

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:32 AM

Wow!

I knew you guys would come through! Those are some great suggestions. Thanks a ton. I think we are going to do the megabus thing. We drove last time and it wasn't fun once you got there. Parking in Chi town is NOT cheap.

As far as the hotel. I did Priceline name your own price. Regretting it a little bit right now. We ended up in a hotel near McCormick Center and a lot of what I'm reading says its not that great of an area. Oh well, I guess you get what you pay for. We are only paying $70 bucks per night. :( On the bright side, there is a bus stop right outside the door of the hotel, so I'm not too worried about the area since we won't have to walk it.

Anyone done the segue tour? I heard it was good but its pricy and was wondering if its worth it?

Thanks again for all your help!

#7 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:20 AM

As for things to do if your into blues music you got to go to Kingston Mines

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#8 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:54 AM

I just checked out Kingston Mines. Looks like fun but I will have the kids with me this trip. Too bad it's a bar I think my boys would have enjoyed it.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#9 Katie

Katie

Wait, is this not ChristianMingle.com?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • Twitter:@katiekatcubs

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:09 PM

I drive to Geneva, IL park in the overflow lot 2 blocks from the Metra station, ride the train into downtown which is the last stop. The train station in Geneva is great. The town is small and very safe and it's a few bucks a day to park there. I wouldn't do the mega bus but that's just me. One of their drivers got a DUI on the way to Chicago last year. There's a bar in the train station with great bartenders and you can buy a sixer to go & drink on the train so YOU don't get a DUI! When you get to downtown, go down the escalators to street level and there's tons of cabs. I would recommend any of the Hilton family hotels. If you want to splurge, The Wit is amazing. On State St right by the famous Chicago Theater. The red line El is 2 blocks away. Loved that hotel, just request a room facing State St. I wouldn't recommend the Embassy Suites on State, my room with a 'view' was of the parking garage. It was a nice location though.
Peg: Oh Al! Did you miss me?
Al: With every bullet, so far.

#10 Katie

Katie

Wait, is this not ChristianMingle.com?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • Twitter:@katiekatcubs

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:12 PM

Let me know if you are thinking about doing the Metra route. I have some pointers that might help you out if you're interested!
Peg: Oh Al! Did you miss me?
Al: With every bullet, so far.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).