hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,937 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:27 AM

So, I am a long time fan of the Baseball Mogul game (my recent Cubs franchise has won around 50 titles in 110 years of baseball history), however, the game lacked a lot of depth for me. Over a couple hour span I could sim 4-5 seasons and it wasn't much of a challenge, That changed when I discovered OOTP Baseball.

Not sure if anyone else has found this game but I love it. I have had it on my phone for a few weeks now and the mobile version is about as in depth as Baseball Mogul is. I just downloaded last years version last night and after about 3 hours, I made it through 1 season.

This thing is DEEP, there are 30 rounds of the Rule 4 draft, they have a rule 5 draft, you can set budgets for player development, fire Mike Quade and trade Alfonso Soriano (did so immediately to the Yankees getting a bucket of rusty bolts back). You have to manage the 40 man roster, depth charts all the way down to Mesa and you can offer free agents arbitration to get your compensatory picks.

Also, you can hire coaching staffs for all of the minor league teams, Mr. Ricketts assigns a Baseball Ops budget that you have to follow and you can change the Uni's (the bad part is they don't have the actual teams logos so that aspect is kind of meh). Even after the 3 hours last night I am lost in the sauce because this game has so much going on.

Interesting note, the Cubs finished 2 games below .500, 2 games out of the wild card and Darwin Barney won RoY. I still fired Quade and Riggins at the end of the season. Also, the Indians moved to Columbus and became the Juggernaut and Brett Taylor jumped the bandwagon and created Jug Nation.

If you are a fan of baseball management games, try this one. Other than some user-friendliness issues, it is a great game and the Demo lets you play up to the trade deadline.

#2 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,638 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:54 AM

What do I write about on Jug Nation?

#3 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:06 AM

I believe that was supposed to be Jugs Nation. I believe Al Bundy was an avid "reader".

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#4 Crockett

Crockett

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:56 AM

I've been playing OOTP for years...since at least 2003. It's a wonderful game.

#5 hansman1982

hansman1982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:15 PM

Its a bit of a misleading title as you talk about balls being whacked about by wooden sticks.

#6 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,638 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:17 PM

Its a bit of a misleading title as you talk about balls being whacked about by wooden sticks.

That guy sounds like an asshole.

#7 hansman1982

hansman1982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:50 PM

That guy sounds like an asshole.

He is an ok guy, just an unhealthy obsession with cat's sleepwear and lingerie

#8 Rick Vaughn 99

Rick Vaughn 99

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Facebook:kloyer5
  • LocationAnchorage, AK

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:27 PM

Big fan of OOTP for over ten years. Very dedicated community.
- die hard fanclub member #001

#9 Crockett

Crockett

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:03 PM

You must try an online league at some point. They are 10x more fun than playing offline, and there are leagues in all shapes and sizes.

#10 hansman1982

hansman1982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:06 AM

Big fan of OOTP for over ten years. Very dedicated community.

You must try an online league at some point. They are 10x more fun than playing offline, and there are leagues in all shapes and sizes.

I just found it about a month ago on my phone as I was looking to see if Baseball Mogul had a mobile game and it is ten times the game that mogul has been. Although I see that the newest Mogul is getting away from number-crunching during the simulation to actually simulating the games, that should make it interesting. But, OOTP has absolutely everything that I wanted Mogul to add.

I think I might have to try the online leagues once I get familiarized with the layout. It takes me about 20 minutes to find some of the obscure screens yet. In the offline play it is far to easy to fleece the computer in trades. I got Ellsbury for Byrd and Rizzo for Fukudome and $2M in cash.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).