Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:03 PM

Last year I was working for Volition Inc, a video game studio in Champaign IL. While at Volition, I learned of a tradition called Pie Day.

Basically, the story goes like this.

Once upon a time, a long time ago, when dinosaurs still ruled the earth and the year was 2005 (or so), a very hungry game developer was rejoicing because Easter had passed, Lent was over, and his diet was once again unrestricted.

He and his friends decided to celebrate by going to a local pie shop in Champaign for lunch and eating nothing buy pie. And so was Pie Day born.

And now, every year, developers at Volition gather on the first Monday after Easter determined to eat for their lunch one entire pie no smaller than 9". This year, thanks in part to former Volitionites who now work at other companies, Pie Day is being opened up to anyone who wants to join in the fun.

http://www.volition-...ieDayApproaches

As someone who has witnessed pie day first hand, I can make a couple of suggestions to potential participants.

1 - AVOID CREAM PIES!!!!
2 - See Number 1.
3 - No, really, you can't do it. I promise. You can't.
4 - Oh, sure, every year someone says they can, and by 6 PM they are hunched over a toilet. Don't try it.

5 - Home made pies tend to be better than grocery store pies. Bakery pies also work well.

6 - I can almost promise you that if you have a favorite food, it can be baked into a pie. If you like macaroni and cheese, there is no doubt such a thing as a macaroni and cheese pie. If you can't buy one, make one.

7 - Deep dish pizza. There are disputes on this. I believe if you make your own deep dish pizza inside a standard pie crust, you are right as rain. If you order a typical 9" deep dish pizza, you aren't... even though you'd probably eat more. The pizza debate can grow quite militant in the hallways of Volition. Every year fractions of dozens of people almost consider slightly hurting someone over the dispute.

There are, of course, no prizes, but the shame you will feel if you fail to eat your pie is great. It is sincere. It is life altering. You will probably be made fun of on Twitter. Darwin Barney might look down on you (but probably not). This is serious stuff.

So, plan your pies! Be the first in your family, in your town, in these forums to challenge and conquer a pie in the name of deliciousness!

Disclaimer - I have not yet entered pie day. I am not responsible for any mocking, taunting, or medical bills that may result from you entering pie day. Please eat pie responsibly. Don't eat and drive.

#2 Crockett

Crockett

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:08 PM

Ironic that today is also the day that Felix Pie was cut.

#3 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,642 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:28 PM

Ha. Awesome.

And here I thought this was going to be about March 14.

#4 SirCub

SirCub

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationCarrboro, NC

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:39 PM

Funny, that's around the same time as the inception of Pie Club (c. 2005). In High School, a couple of friends and I would meet on Thursdays after school and eat at least one standard 9" pie, usually fudge, from Ukrop's (greatest family owned grocery/bakery chain ever). Often times it would just be two or three of us, and we never left a pie unfinished. We tried to get the school to sponsor us, but they told us the club had to be about more than just eating pie, so we told them that we discussed republican politics while we ate. We never got school sponsorship. And they told us we had to stop meeting on school grounds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).