TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 15 September 2011 - 06:04 PM

Holy CRAP Tyler Colvin sucks. Seriously, are you "Colvin deserves to start" people through beating the drum yet?

#2 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 15 September 2011 - 06:08 PM

Here are some WONDERFUL stats:

BA w/ RISP:

Peña - .189
Byrd - .194
Colvin - .140
Hill - .000 (!!!)

That is a whole lotta suck. Really, really bad.

#3 Ron

Ron

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Twitter:@RonPSchwery
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 15 September 2011 - 06:58 PM

Can't watch but on MLB.com it looked like Wells was getting squeezed, anyone watching?

#4 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 15 September 2011 - 07:58 PM

Here are some WONDERFUL stats:

BA w/ RISP:

Peña - .189
Byrd - .194
Colvin - .140
Hill - .000 (!!!)

That is a whole lotta suck. Really, really bad.

Agreed Colvin is not someone I'm counting on for 2012.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#5 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,639 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 16 September 2011 - 07:32 AM

Colvin's year has gone about as badly as it possibly could have. His swing always had holes, it just seems that this year, they grew, and every pitch found a hole.

#6 T C

T C

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Twitter:@tommyecook
  • LocationThe University of Illinois

Posted 16 September 2011 - 10:01 AM

Yes, he's been atrocious, but I think this is 100% a product of never being able to get into a rhythm with proper playing time. He was good last year in semi regular playing time.

The issue with playing a young kid sparingly is that they are pressing every time they head to the plate. They need to show their manager that they can hit, and that leads to them trying to swing at everything they see, and a lot of all-or-nothing type swings. By not settling into a rhythm, they can't use a normal approach, which leads to a very bad, misleading performance in small sample sizes. So, no, I am not done beating the Colvin deserves to start drum, because I do not trust that we are seeing Tyler Colvin's actual abilities right now.

#7 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,639 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 16 September 2011 - 10:16 AM

I want to believe that, TC ... but Colvin stunk it up when playing regularly at AAA Iowa this year. And *everyone* was hitting in the PCL this year.

#8 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 16 September 2011 - 10:20 AM

Yes, he's been atrocious, but I think this is 100% a product of never being able to get into a rhythm with proper playing time. He was good last year in semi regular playing time.

The issue with playing a young kid sparingly is that they are pressing every time they head to the plate. They need to show their manager that they can hit, and that leads to them trying to swing at everything they see, and a lot of all-or-nothing type swings. By not settling into a rhythm, they can't use a normal approach, which leads to a very bad, misleading performance in small sample sizes. So, no, I am not done beating the Colvin deserves to start drum, because I do not trust that we are seeing Tyler Colvin's actual abilities right now.

But, his second half was much worse than the first half and I fear this is just a continuation of that drop from last year. Pitchers have found those holes and Colvin has been unable to fix those flaws (I almost said "plug those holes"). To count on him to return to his early 2010 form is a major risk. The same thing is happening to Barney and next year there will still be players calling for him to play even though he was really only successful for about three months this season.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#9 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 16 September 2011 - 10:34 AM

You think he deserves to start? Really? Deserves it? Based on what?

I mean, I can understand the argument that the Cubs should know what they have in him so that they can factor him into their future, but he just appears so grossly overmatched every time he steps up to the plate, no matter the pitcher. Colvin has shown nothing this year. His "sample sizes" are mercifully small. He fell off the map about halfway through the 2010 season -- as a starter. That's a year and a half of suck.

#10 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 11:07 AM

but he just appears so grossly overmatched every time he steps up to the plate, no matter the pitcher.

This is the part that bothers me. I think he is actually starting to look even less comfortable at the plate.
Please don't feed the psychos.

#11 T C

T C

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Twitter:@tommyecook
  • LocationThe University of Illinois

Posted 16 September 2011 - 11:28 AM

ok ok ok.....So I misused the word "deserves". What I meant to say is that he had a pretty solid rookie year, and because of that, I feel like he should get at least the same amount of playing time to try to replicate those results (Which, in response to TWC, were much more convincing and lasted much longer than Barney's good month.) And, given that this team is going nowhere fast, I feel like it is in the best interests of the team overall to play him every day (since, like, May) and see if he can find himself. So, no, maybe he doesnt "deserve" to start, but I feel like the team shouldve been playing him every day because Reed Fucking Johnson is not part of our future in anyway, but Colvin just may be.

I just don't believe its possible to go to the plate with confidence, a good approach, and good feel for the strikezone when youre pinch hitting in most of your plate appearances. Also, If I remember last year well, i feel like he was pinch hitting a TON at the end of last year before his freak injury

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).