Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:21 PM

I took 8 years of classical piano (got pretty good). Then as I got older and got tired of it. Now that I am older I wish I had never stopped. The last couple of years I have wanted to start playing again but now I don't have a piano (that makes it hard to play). Every time I go back home I sit down at my mom's piano and hack away. I am still able to fumble through a few songs but it isn't the smoothest. Someday I will buy one and try to get back to where I was in my teens.

Get a melodica!

I bought one one a whim (having juuuuust about no piano experience), and it's been a blast.

I'll have to check those out.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#17 BlueHorizons

BlueHorizons

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationMishawaka, Indiana

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:09 PM

I also play guitar, and have done so off and on since about the 3rd grade. I really enjoy playing it and am not half-bad (my wife would say "true, you are more than half-bad!") but unfortunately between family and work commitments, I can find very little time to play. So little time that I have a hard time retaining my callusses, which further limits my playing 'cause you can only play so long when your fingers are throbbing. I resorted to keeping a guitar or three in my office at work, thinking that I could play during lunch or other slower times, but that hasn't happened.

Not long ago, I added a cool 4-string cigar box guitar to my collection and haven't even picked it up yet.

When I do play, I enjoy learning new songs, and have found YouTube to be EXCELLENT for that... look up any song and you can find a video of someone teaching how to play it. I'm currently working on James Taylor's "Fire and Rain." Highly recommend Mike Herberts and Justin Sandercoe (especially Sandercoe)!!! It's like private lessons with a professional, and it's free!

TWC, sorry to hear of your accident... I can't imagine looking down and realizing what'd happened. I know someone (also a guitar player) that lost all four fingers to the first knuckle of his left hand. He switched to playing left-handed (chording with his right hand) and strumming, rather than finger picking.

Speaking of mandolin, a guy that works for my compan is a tremendous mandolin player. Here's a few links to some of his stuff... ( http://www.youtube.c...emandolinmaniac_ He's also from Michigan, like TWC - the Detroit area, though. It is a enough to make me want to play mandolin, as well, but that will have to wait for retirement, I think, as I don't have enough time to play what I have...

#18 BlueHorizons

BlueHorizons

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationMishawaka, Indiana

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:14 PM

My apologies to TWC re: my last post... I confused your location w/Michigan Goat's location. uhh... THAT didn't come out right, my apologies to MichiganGoat for making it sound like it's a bad thing to be from Michigan...

Uhh... I better just shut up and quit rambling! [grin]

#19 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:35 PM

Secret BN insider info: We are the same!

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#20 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,055 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:58 AM

My apologies to TWC re: my last post... I confused your location w/Michigan Goat's location. uhh... THAT didn't come out right, my apologies to MichiganGoat for making it sound like it's a bad thing to be from Michigan...

Uhh... I better just shut up and quit rambling! [grin]

No need to apologize to MG. He knows that he's missing out on the California life.

I'll admit I did consider flipping my mandolin to a left-handed version, but the knuckle on my left thumb was completely destroyed -- just try picking without moving your thumb! I've made do, though. It's been almost 9 years since the accident. I'll never be awesome at the mandolin, but being just good enough, for me, is totally acceptable.

(For those who play an instrument: The thing I'm missing out most on (re: my hand injury) is my complete inability to use my middle finger for anything. I end up using my ring finger for all the middle finger positions, and that turns my hand in at an odd angle, making it difficult to get my pinky where it needs to go.)

And Horizons, you could get a starter mandolin for really cheap (<$100), set it up properly, and certainly learn to bash out some tunes without too much effort, esp. if you're well-versed in guitar. I'd highly encourage it!

#21 Internet Random

Internet Random

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:54 AM

I've played guitar for nearly a quarter of a century now... but am sorely out of practice.

I played mandolin for a year or so in college before I lost access to a mandolin. (A close friend had a couple and let me borrow his beater until he moved.)

Mandolin and bluegrass kill. Most people need to see a live performance before they're hooked, but if it's a decent act, you'll know by the end of the first set whether it's for you or not.

My Ignore List:
Crockett, mountsalami, sans

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).