8 replies to this topic

#1 EQ76

EQ76

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 07:15 AM

Dude hates the Cubs and never hesitates to say it.

#2 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 07:34 AM

In Marty's defense, he has been a douche bag for as long as I can remember, so it's kind of hard for him to change now.

:lol:
Please don't feed the psychos.

#3 T C

T C

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Twitter:@tommyecook
  • LocationThe University of Illinois

Posted 16 September 2011 - 09:55 AM

To be fair, Joe Morgan has something like 108 career WAR, but his comments about Sandberg never diving for a ball or stealing much are not only way off base but completely idiotic in the sense that the reason he didnt dive as much is due to superior defensive ability and speed. It's the Derek Jeter/Jim Edmonds fallacy

#4 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,645 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 16 September 2011 - 10:15 AM

I found Brennaman's comments about Sandberg to be ridiculous and stupid.

That he said Morgan was better, though, is definitely defensible. Morgan had some ridiculous, ridiculous years.

#5 T C

T C

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Twitter:@tommyecook
  • LocationThe University of Illinois

Posted 16 September 2011 - 10:26 AM

yep, especially his comments about their defense. While I never got to see either play, going off of anecdotal evidence, Morgan was not great in the field, and Sandberg was really solid. And going off of mostly broken defensive metrics, Sandberg was above average at 2nd most of his career, while Morgan was truly awful, being worth about -6 WAR on defense in his career

#6 EQ76

EQ76

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 12:06 PM

Well to me it's not about the statement being true or not.. it's the fact that anytime Marty is asked about anything Cubs, his comments are negative.. you can tell the guy has a problem with them and never passes up an opportunity to say so.

#7 Glenallens One Homer

Glenallens One Homer

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 16 September 2011 - 12:29 PM

Marty Brennaman makes his bones by being an unabashed homer in the worst way possible. I totally agree that you could make the argument for Morgan over Sandberg (though I wouldn't) but not only does he say he prefers Morgan, he tears down Ryno. This is his schtick, he hates the Cubs and makes shitty comments about them to rustle up headlines and get more attention. The fact is that he's senile and likely will continue with this crap until he's gone. Such is the way of life: good guys like Ron Santo didn't need to be assholes to get attention and devotion from fans.

#8 Mike Foster

Mike Foster

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 06:10 AM

Chicago Cub fans have been subjected to (IMHO) the BEST home team announcing philosophy in Sports. We do not trash opposing teams! Many other teams do not follow that philosophy, see Saint Louis Cardinal announcers for case in point. It's one of the reasons I love the Cubs, but I certainly never expect away game home team announcers to give us any respect. Rarely am I disappointed.

#9 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 17 September 2011 - 09:59 AM

Chicago Cub fans have been subjected to (IMHO) the BEST home team announcing philosophy in Sports. We do not trash opposing teams! Many other teams do not follow that philosophy, see Saint Louis Cardinal announcers for case in point. It's one of the reasons I love the Cubs, but I certainly never expect away game home team announcers to give us any respect. Rarely am I disappointed.

To be fair to the rest of baseball Mike, it has to be difficult for our announcers to rip on other teams when the Cubs provide so much material of their own. I do have to wonder where this even came from, both are already in the Hall of Fame, both are set in baseball history, and both have moved on to other things. I do think Morgan had his advantages over Sandberg, but Ryno changed the way teams expect their second baseman to play. For Brennaman to have the balls to compare Morgan and Sandberg's defensive play shows how much he really pays attention. I have no respect for the guy, no respect for his opinions, and can't stand listening to his voice. Harry Caray was a much better announcer, the way he almost fell out of the press box when singing the stretch song was amazing. I never saw Brennaman leave his feet or yell "holy cow" and that always stuck in my craw. Douchebag.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).