Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 08 April 2012 - 09:44 AM

Let me get on a soapbox for a few moments:

***disclaimer this is not directed at the wonderful community here on the message board just the growing level of crying by Cub fans I keep talking too***

So two games down, two games with stellar staring pitching and then two men who showed us what it means to "crap there pants"

Posted Image

So now the sky is falling, the world is ending, Theo is a horrible person who traded away everything of value and is only after the number one pick. We make the Astros look good, we are the new Pirates, Wood and Marmol need to sent on a bus to Timbuktu, if only we had Marshal, if only Lee Smith would come out of retirement, rabble, rabble, rabble, and oh my god Ricketts is so cheap.

IT'S ONLY BEEN TWO GAMES!

I know we all wanted to have a surprise magical season where everyone reaches and exceeds their ceiling. Where Marmol returns to 2010, where Woody's cutter is better than Mariano Rivera could have ever dreamed, where Mathers, Lahair, Stewart, DeJesus become MVP candidates, where Campana learns how to get on base, rabble, rabble, rabble.

Guess what we are not built to win this year, if that is a shock then what team did you watch last year? We are building for the future not chasing an unreachable window in the present.

So since the best fans in the world are here on the BN message board I urge everyone to reach out or ignore the fans that keep complaining about this year and point out the good things that we are seeing on the Cubs

• More aggressiveness on the basepaths
  • Strong starting pitching
  • A manager that isn't keeping pitchers in or because he's afraid of the bullpen wants them to reach some milestone
  • An farm system is that exponentially better this year than last year
  • A team that isn't leveraging the future for a chance to win 80 games this year
  • An organization that is patient and calculating in the moves and decisions it makes.
  • There are many more a thread has already discussed the positives - good stuff
I can honestly say I'm more excited about watching the team this year than I was last year (and I actually thought we had a shot last year). Watching a team develop for the future is exciting- you just have to get past the W-L record.

If you come across a fan that still can't relax and enjoy the game let him know that medication is available that can calm them down. If you need assistance I suggest asking our resident pharmacist TWC with any questions. I find good craft beer is quite relaxing.

Soapbox closed, GO CUBS GO.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#2 HoustonTransplant

HoustonTransplant

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 08 April 2012 - 03:45 PM

Here, here. I concur! I've enjoyed 23/27ths of the 3 games I've been able to enjoy. Save for the 8th and 9th the first two games, it's been an okay form of entertainment.
making music and more since 1985

#3 Edgar

Edgar

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:34 PM

Agreed we wouldn't of scored all those runs last year. I like the aggressiveness they are showing.

#4 Dave H

Dave H

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationLombard,IL

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:17 AM

People really need to relax. This team wasn't exactly going to knock our socks off. Starting pitching was great. Kerry hasn't done bad but for the third out of his appearances. Marmol is marmol. He'll improve ( i hope ). Hang in there people!

"We won a game yesterday. If we win one today, that’s two in a row. We win one tomorrow, that’s called a winning streak. It HAS happened before." - Lou Brown

#5 cys_av8r

cys_av8r

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 278 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:44 PM

I agree with everything in the original post. That being said...being a Cubs fan and a Bears fan...and thus being kicked repeatedly in the ball sack... I reserve the right to bitch, moan, whine, throw shit, cuss like a Sox fan, and generally be a complete asshole when middle relievers and closers shit down their legs.

#6 Ben in Nebraska

Ben in Nebraska

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Twitter:@TheRealBenBrush
  • LocationOutside Omaha, NE

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:22 PM

If it's of any consolation, and, while I agree that it's only been a few games, I have a feeling I'm going to have to convince myself that things aren't that bad, the Cubs really could have/should have won all three games against what was supposed to be one of the best top three in the rotation teams out there and a team that a lot of "experts" thought would be a playoff contender this year.

So what does that mean exactly? Well, I for one believe that the should haves versus the did haves is what makes good teams good and the 2012 Cubs, well... not good. But, that's all part of the plan. As was pointed out originally, the farm system looks loaded. I can't wait until the Iowa Cubs come to Omaha and getting to see what should really be a very good minor league baseball game as Omaha is once again set to be pretty decent as well.

I'll admit, I wanted to throw stuff too Thursday and Saturday, but I'm not ready to quit being a Cubs fan, in part because I've tried too many times before and just gave up! Ha!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).