#1 Spencer

Spencer

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationValparaiso, IN

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:16 PM

So, I was at the game last night and it was probably the best time I've had at a game, despite the loss.

My seats were left center in the bleachers, fifth row. There were far too many Brewers fans in the bleachers, including two buddies of mine who I just left in Chicago for being fucks.

Ramirez got a mixed reaction when lineups were announced, and again for his first AB. I would say that he probably got more boos than cheers though, because a lot of the cheers were because of the multitude of Brewers fans that were there. I did see some Cubs fans standing and clapping, though. This error in the ninth was funny, and he was roundly criticized for it in the bleachers.

The best part of the actual game though, were fans' reaction to Ryan Braun. He was mercilessly booed the entire game, and when he took the field for the first time chants of "cheater" and "you have herpes" broke out.

Some of the funnier signs:

MLB: Urinalysis team (being held by a guy wearing a Bud Selig name tag)

Ryan, thanks for getting me fired (held by a guy in a suit jacket and tie with a FedEx logo on it)

Barry Bonds - 762*
Ryan Braun - MVP*
* = Cheaters

...and my personal favorite - A picture of Braun's head, next to that a heart, and then below that Valtrex with the phone number for the company.

The chants would break out at completely random parts of the game, and I laughed almost every time. At one point I am pretty sure the third base umpire was reading the signs in the bleachers during a pitching change. One kid got kicked out for a heckle which combined Braun's sister, STDs, and a phone number. I guess it was over the line. Whatever.

The end of the game was a bummer for sure...Castro had a bad night and I can't believe he took a borderline third strike with the bases loaded.

After the game I saw Tim Kurkjian walking really fast in the opposite direction with other MLB and ESPN people so I didn't get to say anything to him.

All of the fun with Braun wasn't even the best part of my night though:

Walking on Addison before the game I was just minding my own business and I saw none other than Tom Ricketts walking toward me. I took a couple steps into his path basically and put my hand out and then got completely star struck. The only thing I could manage was, "It's nice to meet you". Didn't even say my name. But he shook my hand back, smiled, and said, "It's nice to meet you too, enjoy the game." And then we continued walking. And afterwards I literally jumped up and down and explained to my friends who are dip shit Brewers fans who it was. It was totally and completely awesome, and I probably won't wash my hand for like three days.

#2 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:56 AM

You should wash your hands being that close to Braun.

Great story and yeah I'd probably mumble something to Ricketts and act like I was in the 6th grade.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#3 Stinky Pete

Stinky Pete

The Woodward AND Bernstein of the Message Board

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:01 AM

I got to meet Fergie Jenkins at the Field of Dreams and went all stupid and mumbly. It was awesome.

#4 Beer Baron

Beer Baron

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:55 AM

On the topic of uncomfortable run-ins with great Cubs, as a kid I saw Ernie Banks at the ball park. I was too young to know what was up, but my mom was the one who was all flustered. Ernie turned to me and said "want an autograph?" and my mom frantically looked for anything for him to sign and handed him a kleenex from her purse. He just smiled and said "enjoy the game" and went on his way.

#5 justinjabs

justinjabs

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 366 posts
  • Twitter:justinjabs
  • LocationMilwaukee

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:58 AM

Thanks for sharing, it was fun hearing your perspective and looking at the picture through the night.

I had a similar run-in with Theo last ... November, was it? So nervous I dropped the pen cap at his feet, and immediately called everyone I knew to tell the news, just walking through the streets of Milwaukee saying "I met Theo Epstein!"

Posted Image

"With Reed we will succeed."
Twitter -- Blog

#6 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:47 AM

Cool story bro.

No, seriously, it was a cool story. I met Mike Ditka at the Super Bowl in Tampa a few years ago and was similarly star struck. I pretty much just mumbled and told him how awesome he was. He was really cool about it though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).