Bleacher Nation is on Facebook, and you should totally "Like" us:

Bleacher Nation is also on Twitter, and you should totally follow us:

Upcoming Calendar Events

There are no forthcoming calendar events

Today's birthdays

Photo

Marlon Byrd Trade Rumor - Red Sox Interested?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:42 AM

So saw this today
http://calltothepen....bs-marlon-byrd/

Would the Red Sox actually be interested in Byrd? Yes he is good defensively, yes he is a swell guy, but his hitting is well below replacement level. Still I wonder if the Cubs would trade him for a bowl of chowda, at this point the Cubs can't expect anything in return so if they want him I say make it happen. Although it would take 6 months of negotiation of what type of chowda and Emperor Bud threats before we settle on canned chowda but no crackers.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#2 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,639 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:13 AM

I'm not sure how much impact a couple lousy weeks at the plate have on a guy's value, unless, that is, he looks absolutely lost - as Byrd does. He's been a bit unlucky (his BABIP is almost nothing, which is unusual), but he just looks like terrible.

#3 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:21 AM

I'm not sure how much impact a couple lousy weeks at the plate have on a guy's value, unless, that is, he looks absolutely lost - as Byrd does. He's been a bit unlucky (his BABIP is almost nothing, which is unusual), but he just looks like terrible.

Combine these few weeks of being "lost" with his struggles last year, especially with RISP, and I just don't see him having much value. Hopefully he can be moved without having to take on much payroll.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#4 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:25 AM

Hopefully some team sees him as a "change of scenery" guy and gets desperate enough to offer something decent in return. With the way Clevenger and Castillo are both hitting, I wouldn't mind seeing them try to see what they could get for Soto too.

#5 bearzs99

bearzs99

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:56 AM

i know you dont want to lose a guy without getting something back, but if brett jackson is ready to come up and theres no takers for byrd ( team willing to give up a player , major or minors) i think they might consider just releasing him (5mil)...

#6 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:15 AM

This makes sense. The red six would get a player to fill in for Ellsbury and whom could be traded at the deadline. I am actually surprised more teams don't trade for guys this early. Call up campana and let him run CF for 3 weeks to see what he could do daily in the majors. If it fails you still have Jackson waiting

#7 Spencer

Spencer

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationValparaiso, IN

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:20 AM

I would be pleased if they just DFA him.

#8 sven-erik312

sven-erik312

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:31 PM

I wonder if that injury last season has really gotten inside his head? I hope he's not finished.

#9 Crockett

Crockett

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:16 PM

This is one example where BABIP is useless. Anyone who watches the games realizes that most of his balls-in-play have been weak ground balls.

I'm telling you...he's 20-40 lbs lighter. I seriously think he's "off" something and it's thrown his entire training/preparation off.

#10 SirCub

SirCub

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationCarrboro, NC

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:23 PM

This is one example where BABIP is useless. Anyone who watches the games realizes that most of his balls-in-play have been weak ground balls.

I'm telling you...he's 20-40 lbs lighter. I seriously think he's "off" something and it's thrown his entire training/preparation off.

That's not really a fair accusation to make, based on nothing but a slump to start to the season. But it's the sad state of the game that forces our minds to go to such thoughts first.

#11 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,639 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:20 PM

That's not really a fair accusation to make, based on nothing but a slump to start to the season. But it's the sad state of the game that forces our minds to go to such thoughts first.

He lost a ton of weight in the offseason, and I believe him when he says it was diet and exercise. But I also believe that it would be pretty easy for a ton of weight loss to totally throw off your swing.

#12 Spencer

Spencer

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationValparaiso, IN

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:33 PM

He lost a ton of weight in the offseason, and I believe him when he says it was diet and exercise. But I also believe that it would be pretty easy for a ton of weight loss to totally throw off your swing.

Its probably pretty easy for your swing to get thrown off if you're bad at baseball, too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).