#1 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,639 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 16 September 2011 - 11:49 AM

It's getting incredible reviews, which, I must confess, is shocking. I like to pride myself on an ability to judge a movie's likely reception based solely on the people involved and the previews. To me, 'Drive' looked like a classic money grab. It has Bryan Cranston in it, at the height of his 'Breaking Bad' popularity, for crying out loud.

I must have whiffed on this one, though, because, to me, the previews make it look like herr-herr-blowin'-shit-up crap. The reviews say otherwise.

#2 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 16 September 2011 - 02:13 PM

I thought it looked impressive and I've been impressed with Ryan Gossling (SP?) in his post-notebook roles.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#3 Ron

Ron

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Twitter:@RonPSchwery
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 16 September 2011 - 05:24 PM

MG did you watch Gossling in Blue Valentine? My wife picked it up. He did ok but it was a rough movie. I would only recommend it if you were just completely miserable and were looking for a flick to put you over the edge to have to courage to end it all.

#4 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 09:33 AM

MG did you watch Gossling in Blue Valentine? My wife picked it up. He did ok but it was a rough movie. I would only recommend it if you were just completely miserable and were looking for a flick to put you over the edge to have to courage to end it all.

No, actually most of my praise for him come from Half Nelson and the upcoming Ides of March look good. He seems to pick roles that are edgy, dark, or unconventional. The movies may not be great but I find his acting superior to many of today's leading men. I see Drive as something that will be somthing quite different than the title and trailer makes one think (too many people see this as a "Transporter" like film. I can actually see this be something like Fight Club was to many viewers (well anyone who hadn't read the book)

MichiganGoat on Twitter

#5 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 17 September 2011 - 09:44 AM

I would seriously have to suspend my disbelief of Gosling as an action star. I have seen a few movies that he's been good in, but if this role is anything like it looks, I think I'll pass for now. If it turns out to be a swerve job by the studio execs and the movie turns out to be a cerebral thriller, I'll relent, but until someone tells me otherwise, The Notebook guy in an action movie won't work for me.

#6 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 11:44 AM

I would seriously have to suspend my disbelief of Gosling as an action star. I have seen a few movies that he's been good in, but if this role is anything like it looks, I think I'll pass for now. If it turns out to be a swerve job by the studio execs and the movie turns out to be a cerebral thriller, I'll relent, but until someone tells me otherwise, The Notebook guy in an action movie won't work for me.

I suspect that is exactly what they are doing with this movie, I don't see Gosling trying to be an action star, this movie has a high surprise factor written all over it

MichiganGoat on Twitter

#7 SirCub

SirCub

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationCarrboro, NC

Posted 22 September 2011 - 07:43 AM

I saw it, and it is anything but a "herr-herr-blowin'-shit-up crap" movie. In fact, I don't think that anything blew up at all. (I don't know how you make a movie without explosions these days). It's actually pretty slow-paced for the majority of the movie, and the direction is just damn beautiful. The acting/diaologue is very subdued but effective, and it all leads to a very suspenseful film. Basically, it was the anti-Transformers. It was kind of hard to gauge what it was going to be like going in though (based on the previews), and I gotta say that I dug it. If you are looking for an interesting movie, check it out.

#8 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,639 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 22 September 2011 - 09:56 AM

Thanks, SC. I'll probably check it out on DVD.

#9 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 22 September 2011 - 10:02 AM

Is Christina Hendricks in this movie? If she is, I will be getting the dvd, if not, I'll wait for netflix, err quickster or something like that.

#10 SirCub

SirCub

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationCarrboro, NC

Posted 22 September 2011 - 10:36 AM

Haha, yea she is, but she isn't attractive at ALL in this role.

#11 Jim

Jim

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 01:14 PM

But as Buzz Kilman would say, she is involved in one quality kill.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).