King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,480 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:22 AM

I went to the game last night (and will be at the next two) at the new Marlins stadium. It was a pretty fun night, so I'll give a recap for your enjoyment here.

Driving up, the stadium looks cool as hell, but it's in a terribly crappy area. As we pulled up to the stadium, there were latinos with cardboard signs sellng "no block" parking places on their lawns for 25 bucks a pop. We laughed at the guys who were too cheap to even invest in a cardboard sign and were just waving their shirts around in the air to try and attract potential parkers. We then proceeded to park in the near empty stadium parking garage for 15 bucks, then laughed as we walked past some of the "no block" parking places, where people were already blocked in.

We were expecting some protestors or something outside of the stadium because of the Ozzie Guillen comments, but no such luck. There were several video game vendors giving away free shit, but nothing cool. When you walk in the stadium, the first thing you notice is the fuckng ridiculous homerun statue. That thing is as hideous as it is annoying, and I almost punched a lady Marlins fan in the face when Hanley Ramirez went deep.

The next thing we noticed, was there are ton of Cubs fans in Miami. The stadium wasn't even half full, and there were very apparent patches of empty blue seats in lot of the premium seating areas. I think the fans were split 50/50, but the Cubs fans were louder and knew more about baseball. I know that they were expecting this stadium to be their big cash cow, but they couldn't even sell out half the stadium for the Cubs, who are one of the most followed visiting teams in baseball.

The game was fun as hell. I gave Marlon Byrd massive amounts of grief after every one of his at bats. The guy is clearly frustrated with his struggles. Ozzie got booed during intros, but he came out to argue the call at the plate and got a pretty loud round of applause. Most fans I heard were yelling positive things to him.

I don't have to tell everyone how awesome the women in Miami are, but there are some really sexy Cubs fans down here that would put the Series She-View girls to shame, even if they are NSFW. Speaking of women, the Marlins cheerleaders were in fine form. The women cheerleaders dirty danced and shook their asses at the crowd while three or four over zealous and obviously annoying cheer guys did flips and jazz hands. Then came the seafood race, which I'm going to leave alone, it's that bad.

The pictures on the scoreboard were pretty lame for the Cubs intros, but the Darwin Barney one was actually kind of hilarious. They make terrible use of all the huge video boards in the stadium. I think they only showed two replays the whole night, and neither was on any of the close calls. They were mostly used for advertising, which is a pretty big waste. Overall, it was a nice stadium, but you could tell that it just opened, and the Marlins aren't fully sure how to organize a baseball game with more than 10000 people yet.

If i remember anything else, I'll post it. I will be at the games tonight and tomorrow, so if anyone is from Miami, there are plenty of seats available, and I'll buy drinks. I'm going to take my phone tonight, so I'll do some tweeting from the game.

#2 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:47 AM

I went to the game last night ... [T]here are some really sexy Cubs fans down here that would put the Series She-View girls to shame, even if they are NSFW.
I'm going to take my phone tonight, so I'll do some tweeting from the game.

Um. Your phone's got a camera, right?

#3 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,480 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:04 PM

I went to the game last night ... [T]here are some really sexy Cubs fans down here that would put the Series She-View girls to shame, even if they are NSFW.
I'm going to take my phone tonight, so I'll do some tweeting from the game.

Um. Your phone's got a camera, right?

:D

#4 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:54 PM

Free drinks? Wonder of Priceline would give me a flight for $5.50?

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#5 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,646 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:58 AM

This was lovely, by the way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).