Bleacher Nation is on Facebook, and you should totally "Like" us:

Bleacher Nation is also on Twitter, and you should totally follow us:

Upcoming Calendar Events

There are no forthcoming calendar events

Today's birthdays

No members are celebrating a birthday today

Photo

Disappointed to find Larry Lucchino less of a douche in person.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 NEcubsfan

NEcubsfan

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:52 PM

I live in southern New Hampshire and took a field trip to Fenway today. Tomorrow is the 100th anniversary of the first game at Fenway park and today is an off day for the Red Sox. The Sox opened the park for free today so fans could come and tour the park. I thought this would be a cool opportunity for my five year old daughter to see the park without me buying her a ticket and then missing the game when she inevitably got bored. While looking at a map of the park to decide where we would go next, I saw a man hold out a stuffed "Wally The Monster" toy to my daughter and say "would you like a souvenir?". After giving the toy to my daughter he stood, held out his hand and said "hi I'm Larry Lucchino, and just wanted to thank you and your family for supporting the Red Sox". I'm usually quick-witted, but with my daughter grinning from ear to ear, I was at a loss for a snappy comment. I just said "thanks" and shook his hand, not even a "how's Chris Carpenter workin' out for you?" came out of my mouth. I guess since my daughter was with me I did the right thing, but I still fell weird about the experience. I did go wash my hand after BTW. Curious to hear what anyone else would have done.

#2 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,638 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:08 PM

Probably the classiest way to respond. Great share.

#3 Katie

Katie

Wait, is this not ChristianMingle.com?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • Twitter:@katiekatcubs

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:42 PM

Definitely classy of you. I would have been sorely tempted to flip him some shit.
Peg: Oh Al! Did you miss me?
Al: With every bullet, so far.

#4 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,638 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:46 PM

I would have had my daughter take the doll, and then I would have said, "thanks, but, before we formally accept, what kind of compensation are you expecting?"

#5 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:55 PM

I would have had my daughter take the doll, and then I would have said, "thanks, but, before we formally accept, what kind of compensation are you expecting?"

Nice

But in all seriousness these guys don't get where they are by being dicks to fans, they well prepared and able to be the good guy you can't hate if you meet them. Politicians are the same way. Unfortunately this leads them to believe they really are infallible people, but I'd behave the same way- if you make my girl happy I will thank you - even if you are a tool.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).