Drew

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Twitter:@Drew7
  • LocationUrbana, IL

Posted 22 May 2012 - 08:18 PM

Oh and Bourne, absolutely I think he's exactly the type of guy that Theo would want on the Cubs, and we don't really have a prospect that would be blocked by him.

Maybe Szczur. But Szczur could push DeJesus to fourth outfielder in 2014. That would give the Cubs a fantastic defensive outfield. If the Cubs landed Upton or Either as well, then they just have one of those great problems. Szczur in a Top 100 guy; he could probably be dealt in a package for pitching (or something else).

Szczur isn't going to be a major league-caliber starter. He'll be a decent 5th OF. Extremely bearish on him.

Just curious, but why? I like what I've seen from him so far, especially with this year only being his 2nd full, football-free year.

#17 Crockett

Crockett

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:47 PM

Oh and Bourne, absolutely I think he's exactly the type of guy that Theo would want on the Cubs, and we don't really have a prospect that would be blocked by him.

Maybe Szczur. But Szczur could push DeJesus to fourth outfielder in 2014. That would give the Cubs a fantastic defensive outfield. If the Cubs landed Upton or Either as well, then they just have one of those great problems. Szczur in a Top 100 guy; he could probably be dealt in a package for pitching (or something else).

Szczur isn't going to be a major league-caliber starter. He'll be a decent 5th OF. Extremely bearish on him.

Just curious, but why? I like what I've seen from him so far, especially with this year only being his 2nd full, football-free year.

His swing is downright bad. No leverage. He flips his hands. Zero drive. Also, his approach is poor and although his BB rate has improved some, I attribute that to repeating a level at 22. Where are you going to put an OF who hits 3-5 HR a year and has an OBP around .330? The bench.

#18 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 24 May 2012 - 01:11 AM

Um, you just described Michael Bourne, Scott Podsednik, and Juan Pierre. If he can play solid defense and cause trouble on the bases I see a place for him.

#19 Crockett

Crockett

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:27 AM

Ok, a few things. A) That's Szczur's ceiling, which he's unlikely to reach. B) Szczur does not have 60+ SB speed in the major leagues. C) Pierre and Bourn (until this year) are massively below average for leadoff types. OBP is most important and they've been subpar.

Let me guess, you're a big Tony Campana fan?

#20 Drew

Drew

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationUrbana, IL

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:48 AM

His swing is downright bad. No leverage. He flips his hands. Zero drive. Also, his approach is poor and although his BB rate has improved some, I attribute that to repeating a level at 22. Where are you going to put an OF who hits 3-5 HR a year and has an OBP around .330? The bench.

Is it really "repeating a level" when you played 43 games there last season? Plus, while you attribute an increased BB-rate to "repeating" the level, last year at Daytona was really the only time he showed an abysmal BB-rate (7% while in Peoria last year, 7.3% career).

I haven't seen him play, so you may know more about him than me. I'm just hesistant to put that low of a ceiling on a guy that's played less than 2 full seasons (with solid #'s) in the minors.

#21 Crockett

Crockett

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:49 AM

Why? His statistical profile is subpar...why would you put a higher ceiling on him?

#22 Drew

Drew

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationUrbana, IL

Posted 24 May 2012 - 12:47 PM

Why? His statistical profile is subpar...why would you put a higher ceiling on him?

295 .354 .422 BB% - 7.3% K% - 11.6%
VS
269 .364 .401 BB% - 11.8% K% - 23.3%

Player A = Szczur, 1st season at age 20
Player B = Drew Stubbs, 1st season age 21

I know Stubbs has mostly been a disappointment, but hes more than a 5th OF

I may just be bad at interpreting what "good" and "bad" numbers are, but I don't see his numbers as being that bad.

#23 Crockett

Crockett

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 12:56 PM

Stubbs is a reasonable comparison. On a normal team, he should be a 4th OF. He has more power and a better fundamental swing than Szczur plus Stubbs has more usable speed imo. Either way, if a guy like that is starting for you, it's a significant weak link in the construction of the team.

(PS - According to BR, your stats for Stubbs are wrong)

#24 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 24 May 2012 - 01:03 PM

Serious question: speed is speed right? Or, are you saying that Stubbs accelerates quicker therefor he is up to top speed sooner.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#25 Drew

Drew

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationUrbana, IL

Posted 24 May 2012 - 01:03 PM

Stubbs is a reasonable comparison. On a normal team, he should be a 4th OF. He has more power and a better fundamental swing than Szczur plus Stubbs has more usable speed imo. Either way, if a guy like that is starting for you, it's a significant weak link in the construction of the team.

BR is where I got them from. I suppose I could have calculated the BB and K rates wrong, but the triple-slash is corrrect.

Note: Those are his MiLB numbers, since that would be apples-to-apples.

#26 Crockett

Crockett

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 01:35 PM

BR is where I got them from. I suppose I could have calculated the BB and K rates wrong, but the triple-slash is corrrect.

I'm seeing .252/.368/.400 for Stubbs at age 21. Am I drunk?

#27 Crockett

Crockett

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 01:37 PM

Serious question: speed is speed right? Or, are you saying that Stubbs accelerates quicker therefor he is up to top speed sooner.

Usable speed is speed that translates to baseball. There have been plenty of guys who were very quick in a 60m or 100m who didn't steal bases well or didn't get out of the box well. Stubbs does both of those better than Szczur does. Now...Szczur is a very good athlete, don't get me wrong, and he may improve how his speed translates, but Stubbs has enough speed to steal 60+ if he got on base enough. Szczur does not imo.

#28 Drew

Drew

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationUrbana, IL

Posted 24 May 2012 - 02:38 PM

No. I used career MiLB numbers. Sorry should have been more clear on that

#29 Crockett

Crockett

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 02:42 PM

No. I used career MiLB numbers. Sorry should have been more clear on that

Ha. That makes more sense. I was seriously questioning my sanity.

#30 JCubs79

JCubs79

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Twitter:clarkj79
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 24 May 2012 - 04:15 PM

I'm someone who isn't tremendously high on Szczur but I like him and I can see where both you guys are coming from. Personally I think having a guy like him either starting or being a 4th OF would be a tremendous asset to this team in the future. I do love the improvement though that he is showing early on this year. A promotion to AA should be happening soon if that continues.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).