King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,476 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 17 September 2011 - 05:38 PM

So, the Red Sox are in the midst of a complete choke job(currently 3 up on Tampa for WC). If they continue to struggle and the Rays continue to win, it would leave a terrible taste in the mouths of Larry Lucchino and John Henry, add in the fact that Terry Francona is technically in the last year of his deal, and things could be pointing towards a Boston turnover. I personally don't see it happening, but the pieces are lining up for the Cubs to make a run at Theo Epstein. Would a terrible collapse this year, combined with some of the free agent misses of Epstein(DiceK, Crawford, Lackey), be reason for both sides to look at other options? What does everybody think? Could a Boston collapse coincide with the Cubs opening to create a perfect storm? Could the planets possibly align like this for the benefit of the North Siders?????

#2 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 17 September 2011 - 06:48 PM

I doubt it would be that dramatic, but it would let Ricketts go after Epstien and we'd all know if he's coming before November. It woud leave out all the speculation if Ricketts signs some else before November.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#3 Dave

Dave

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationSpringfield, MO

Posted 17 September 2011 - 07:34 PM

I wonder if Epstein would be more likely to leave if the Sox win the World Series again. A new challenge after 3 championships in 8 years might be more appealing than a new challenge after your $160 million team collapses and falls behind a team whose payroll is $40 million.

#4 Hangman

Hangman

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 08:39 PM

Why is everyone so, up on Epstein. The BoSox had 90 wins the year before he took over. He took the BoSox to that next step, but can he take the Cubs the numerous steps it would take them to get to the WS? I am not sure he can.

#5 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,638 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 18 September 2011 - 07:07 AM

Why is everyone so, up on Epstein. The BoSox had 90 wins the year before he took over. He took the BoSox to that next step, but can he take the Cubs the numerous steps it would take them to get to the WS? I am not sure he can.

Given the Red Sox's impressive farm system over the last decade, and the repeatedly successful moves he made in the first three years after taking the reigns, I can't be anything but excited about Epstein. And when you consider his eye for front office talent (just consider that almost all of the top up-and-comers over the past decade (Cherington, Byrnes, Hoyer) and reclamation types (Baird) have worked for/with Epstein, he just strikes me as a guy who really, really gets it.

And that's without even considering the fact that the Red Sox have own two WS under his watch.

#6 Hangman

Hangman

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 10:37 AM

Given the Red Sox's impressive farm system over the last decade, and the repeatedly successful moves he made in the first three years after taking the reigns, I can't be anything but excited about Epstein. And when you consider his eye for front office talent (just consider that almost all of the top up-and-comers over the past decade (Cherington, Byrnes, Hoyer) and reclamation types (Baird) have worked for/with Epstein, he just strikes me as a guy who really, really gets it.

And that's without even considering the fact that the Red Sox have own two WS under his watch.

But He has never had to start with this barrin a farm system or bad a roster. Epstein alreadyb had a good Farm system and roster the day he walked in the door. I am not question his ability to maintain and adjust, I am unsure of his ability to rebuild from the bottom up. He as made a few mistakes in FA, Jenks is the first that coming to mind.

Next season is critical it will determine direction of the team for at least the next 5 years. So there will be lower threshold for mistakes. Epstein is use to fixing his mistake by spending more money, I don't see the ownership allowing the teams payroll to go over 140 mil. I would rather se a GM who know how to get the most out of the least.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).