#1 sven-erik312

sven-erik312

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 22 April 2012 - 01:21 AM

Even though this site is devoted to the Cubs and even though I know that there are a few Cubs fans and Sox fans who absolutely loath the "other side", you just have to tip your hat to Phil Humber, I mean a PERFECT GAME MAN! Congrats to Phil, that's just fantastic!

#2 FFP

FFP

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationWorcester County, Massachusetts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:19 AM

There is lots to share about this game. I hope one of the administrators moves this thread to MLB news, as I feel kind of...disorganized responding here.
Some of the stuff we should talk about. The measurable: is there a positive connection between perfect game pitchers (or nohitter-pitchers) and being a good or great pitcher? How much of this is statistical noise? The unmeasurable: for me, the way the ball was coming out of Humber's hand was other-worldly. He looked like a freethrow shooter tossing 'em in the hoop in perfect little arcs, or like a jazz musician when he is "on it" and everyone in the room can feel it. The odd: did I see Humber laughing when he went down 0 and 3 at the start of the ninth? What the hell was that? Did anyone else see that? The etiquette: should announcers (or us) talk openly about these potential feats in progress, and what about opposing batters (Ryan was particularly classy--after the game. ) The comradreric: Have you ever been in the park when one of these occasions of great moment reveals itself? When? How did you or others in the park react as it developed?
Thanks, Sven, for getting the ball rolling. I am really curious how others react to this amazing bit of baseball history. And I got some more I want to say

#3 Spencer

Spencer

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationValparaiso, IN

Posted 22 April 2012 - 11:02 AM

In the 6-8th innings yesterday the Yankees sent 27 men to the plate.

#4 sven-erik312

sven-erik312

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 22 April 2012 - 11:44 AM

Hi there FFP!
Some great points there. I didn't see any of that stuff., the best I could get was the highlights on ESPN America. The game was way past my time zone anyway. But, you know, as a kid I would listen to Braves games with Milo Hamilton doing the games. Maybe just to fill up airtime, but he used to always make comments on the status of other ball games with stuff like "Hmm, Pitcher XXX has a no hitter going into to the 6th, lets see what happens."
Having been away from the game on a daily level for almost 15 years, I notice that I don't hear alot about other games from the local play by play guys, at least not as much as I would like to think I remember. When it's a network broadcast, it seems like those guys follow other games a little better. I always liked hearing about other games on the radio
One bizzare thing I saw on TV once was Andy Messershimdt pitching a no hitter against the White Sox and loosing, I think it was 1988.
The most exciting thing I ever saw was the Braves pulling off a triple play in Atlanta against the Reds in 1969, but they stilllost the game

#5 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,938 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:23 PM

Frankly, I wouldn't have cared if he tossed it against the Cubs yesterday. I watched his half of the 9th yesterday and it was freekin sweet. The sad part, he will probably get far less attention than Gallaraga and far fewer prizes.

#6 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:32 PM

Frankly, I wouldn't have cared if he tossed it against the Cubs yesterday. I watched his half of the 9th yesterday and it was freekin sweet. The sad part, he will probably get far less attention than Gallaraga and far fewer prizes.

And he's on your Fantasy team and got you 110+ points you lucky man.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#7 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:09 AM

As far as talking about it, I don't care who talks about it outside of the dugout. That is the only place where it really matters. I know I'm a Cubs fan but I'm not superstitious. The only reason not to talk about it in the dugout would be to not adding extra stress to the pitcher. He already knows what is going on.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#8 FFP

FFP

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationWorcester County, Massachusetts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:51 PM

I hear you, Blues. (But, I'd hate to be in his dugout for fear of just moving his freakin' sunflower seeds) What about the Seattle dugout. I mean, what if the coach told you to bunt? I know every hitter is trying hard, but at some point, psychologically, aren't opposing hitters, like umpires, rooting for the pitcher, or rather, the event.

I was in the stands the night of Buchholtz' no-hitter. What was maddening was; by the sixth inning about a third of us were looking at each other knowingly, and trying to clue in our pals as to what we might be seeing. (Buchholtz was in a groove, Veritek seemed to have done his homework, and the tin scoreboard was filling with goose eggs) We spent the next two innings finding less and less clever ways of saying "We are watching a potential no-hitter" without saying "We are watching a potential no-hitter!" By the ninth there was still about a third of the crowd in our section (sell-out, great seats, apparently otherwise paying attention) that didn't get it YET. But man, when it was over. The air in the pahk was sweeter. No one wanted to leave. People hugged and laughed, and most of us stayed for an extra half hour or so. This continued on the street. Smiling. Just smiling. I don't do drugs, but if i did, the good ones would feel like that.

Saturday night I sat there slack-jawed, like I started saying "wow" in the seventh inning and didn't finish pronouncing it until the game was over. My girlfriend cried (she knows nothing of either team and was only upset that there were empty seats at a baseball game) while we watched Humber file his place in history; pitch by pitch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).