#1 BlueHorizons

BlueHorizons

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationMishawaka, Indiana

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:39 AM

At the end of Spring Training, it was mentioned by several media sources, that it was a very tough decision, but ultimately, it was decided to keep Brett Jackson in AAA. Also, it was stated that the Cubs would be looking for excuses to move BJax to Chicago.

Next came the reports out of the minor leagues that Jackson was having a good start to the season in AAA. And of course, at the same time, Marlon Byrd's struggles at the plat continued.

As people (myself included) started becoming optimistic that at SOME point, if Byrd couldn't get things going, sooner rather, later B-Jax would be moving up to the Majors. Dashing hopes, It was also "announced" that the earliest B-Jax would be promoted would be in June. By waiting until the June time-frame, Chicago would gain another year of control over Jackson. Surely everyone is in favor of retaining as many years of control as possible, especially since June isn't THAT far off. Makes plenty of sense.

Suddenly, at the end of last week and thru the early part of this past weekend, the trigger on the Byrd deal was pulled. Of course, knowing that June was the earliest to expect a Jackson call-up, my hopes were not awakened, though in my mind, a step towards Jackson was taken. The countdown until "June" and B-Jax had begun.

Now all call-up talk, especially the talk originating from the Cubs front office, is including "additional AAA experience needed." The "500 AAA at bats" phrase began circulating, in addition to the need to reducing strike-outs. Does all of this talk mean that we are probably not going to see B-Jax take the field in Chicago this year?

#2 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:45 AM

I'm still expecting to see him by June or July.
Please don't feed the psychos.

#3 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:50 AM

Everything coming out of the FO, to me, sounds like it is PR dribble. The casual fan that knows about BJax expected him to come up instead of Campana. This gives the FO something to spin to the fans and not have to come out and say they are holding a player back (who actually would benefit from more AAA AB's) from being called up for monetary gains.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#4 SirCub

SirCub

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationCarrboro, NC

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:01 AM

I think the plan would be for him to come up in the second half (or maybe a little sooner). But you have to understand that "player development" isn't a linear timeline. Ideally, he stays down for a couple months, crushes the ball, and cuts down his K-rate. The Cubs would then happily promote him and give him the opportunity to play every day at the major league level, where he would go on on to have a Hall of Fame career. Everyone lives happily ever after.

But in reality, things may work out differently. Say Jackson keeps hitting, but can't cut down his strikeout numbers? Or what if the AAA pitchers start to make an adjustment, and his numbers fall off substantially? The front office knows their players, and they will promote them when they are ready, while taking into consideration things like contract arbitration and control years and whatnot. Jackson needs more time to be ready. How much more time will be determined by his performance.

#5 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:03 AM

Statistically, Jackson is not off that good of a start in Iowa. He's only hitting .239/.329/.465 right now, and is only recently off a streak where he had a terrible time just making contact. I honestly do not think that now is the time to call him up.

As for the 500 ABs thing, I'm not sure how much of that is speculation or off hand comments and how much is carved-in-stone plans by the front office. Certainly Jackson could use more time in Iowa, but I don't know that they'll leave him there for another 250ish AB. Really, the one guy who has the most to say about how long he stays in the minors is Brett Jackson.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).