hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,936 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:05 AM

Thanks to our fearless leader, I am going to the Cubs game on Wednesday. Thanks to my house, child and wife being black holes of despair and money, I will just be travelling down for the day from Des Moines.

Anyone have any tips on getting to Wrigley from the west side while avoiding as much rush hour traffic (sans traffic I will be getting to wrigley around 9-930 (with traffic, God only knows)) as possible? Would it be best to stop at a park and ride and ride the train halfway across Chicago or just brave the traffic?

If riding the El is the best, where should I get on? Is there a specific train I should shoot for?

#2 CubFanBob

CubFanBob

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:38 AM

you can park around the neighborhood till 6pm.

#3 Spencer

Spencer

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationValparaiso, IN

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:58 AM

If without traffic you'll get there around 9-9:30, I would just stick it out with the traffic and park in the neighborhood or in a lot for like $20-25. Even if traffic is shitty it won't delay you enough to make you miss the game.

#4 hardtop

hardtop

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationThe Queen City of the Plains

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:10 AM

yeah, when the game starts, you need a neighborhood permit or a guest pass to park on the street. or at least you did down by belmont. i loved having two different buddies living in that neighborhood, always got the hook up on passes. personally, id just get there as early as possible and pony up the cash for a lot or someones parking space. when i was a kid we used to park in this guys garage for 5 bucks... we'd call him in the morning, day of game, and he'd hold the space until 5 minutes after the games started.... that was cool.

#5 CubFanBob

CubFanBob

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:27 AM

It's a day game. Neighborhood permit parking doesnt begin till 6pm.

#6 hansman1982

hansman1982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,936 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:01 PM

Ok, so if I can find a spot on the street, I should be ok to park there?

When I drive to Chicago I normally come in on the Eisenhower Prkwy. Would it be better (i.e. less traffic) if I looped up to O'Hare and came down on the Kennedy and took Addison over towards Wrigleyville?

I guess, what I am asking is, just how bad is traffic on 290 at 8:30-9:00 in the morning?

Also, is there anywhere around Wrigley I should avoid parking my car in?

#7 CubFanBob

CubFanBob

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:32 PM

You have a lot of options. It's a hard call on traffic but the closer to nine you get the less busy it gets.

my two suggestions / options

1. Park in the area just west of the Addison 94/90 exit and take the Addison bus back and forth. I live right there. It's a 40 minute or so bus ride with average traffic. Quicker coming back after the game.

2. Pay for parking or find parking between Belmont and Irving as far away as Damen. Pay attention to signs....99% sure they start ticketing closer to the game at 6pm to 6am.

#8 hardtop

hardtop

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:57 PM

It's a day game. Neighborhood permit parking doesnt begin till 6pm.

oh damn, got confused, you're right.

#9 hansman1982

hansman1982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,936 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:47 PM

Ok, so West of Wrigley is a decent enough neighborhood - low liklihood that I come back to my car on blocks.

What about the Waveland Park softball fields? Is that a public area or do you know that they get testy with out of state plates? I thought about taking 290 over to Lake Shore Drive and up to the Wrigley neighborhood, maybe drive through the richey part of Chicago. It is my first time visiting Chicago on my own so by golly, I am going to do what I want (as long as me doing what I want doesn't end up with me being stabbed, shot, robbed, or "Andy Dufrane'd") in terms of getting there but I don't want to be stuck in 4 hours of traffic.

#10 hardtop

hardtop

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:55 PM

damn dude, its not post-apocalyptic Chicago. Generally speaking, most of the neighborhoods within reasonable walking distance of Wrigley are quite safe, especially during the daylight hours. At night, my biggest fear was getting mobbed by transvestite hookers. Unless you are driving a Bentley or you have 10 grand worth of blinged out rims installed, your car, and you, should be fine.
Just use common sense and you wont find yourself victim of crime: roll up your windows and lock your doors, dont leave backpacks or suitcases in the passenger compartment, dont let a tennis pro shtup your wife, and remove all green bay packers paraphernalia from your vehicle and person.

#11 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:04 PM

Park n ride is always the cheapest route.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#12 CubFanBob

CubFanBob

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:06 PM

lol haha dont over think this...ya every neighborhood has the potential to be dangerous.....you are going to be here early just drive around west of clark to damen to the west and belmont to the south to irving park to the north and you will find neighborhood parking. ..just pay attention to signs.

#13 hansman1982

hansman1982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,936 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:35 PM

Haha I was born and raised on a farm so just living in des Moines means I think every day is my last! Haha. I'm not really that bad, thanks for the help guys!

#14 Katie

Katie

Wait, is this not ChristianMingle.com?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • Twitter:@katiekatcubs

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:11 PM

I didn't see this until now but next time drive to Geneva, park in the overflow lot, Metra train to downtown and walk or cab to red line.
Peg: Oh Al! Did you miss me?
Al: With every bullet, so far.

#15 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:15 AM

Park n ride is always the cheapest route.

This. I haven't been up there in a few years, but this was always the best way to go for travelling to and from games from out of town.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).