Bleacher Nation is on Facebook, and you should totally "Like" us:

Bleacher Nation is also on Twitter, and you should totally follow us:

Upcoming Calendar Events

There are no forthcoming calendar events

Today's birthdays

No members are celebrating a birthday today

Photo

4th Member of Cubs All-Time Crype Team: You knew he was coming!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Oswego Chris

Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 19 September 2011 - 09:19 AM

To refresh Crype= hyped Cub prospect that was really crap, hence Crype

3RD BASE- GARY SCOTT

When I looked back at the career of the now legendary Gary Scott, one question came to mind: Why was he even considered a prospect?

- he played two seasons in the minors before joining the Cubs, hitting below .300 in each of them. In fact Gary never hit .300 in any Major or Minor league season

- his highest HR total in the minors was 16

- upon getting his chance with the Cubs Gary hit .156 with one homer in 1991(I saw the one homer live, it was a basket shot)...and hit .165 in 1992...

How can you not hit .300 in the minors and be labeled a prospect? There were no indicators at all that Gary Scott showed any potential to be anything more than what he was, which was a below average minor league player. So actually poor Gary should not be blamed for his not being the next Ron Santo(heck he wasn't even the next Vance Law)...whoever deemed him a prospect shoot be shot(okay thats a bit dramatic, at least I hope they aren't working in baseball anymore)

Gary was a 2nd Rd pick in 1989. Other players drafted after him: John Olerud, Denny Neagle, Shane Reynolds and Jeff Bagwell.

Current Chicago Crype Roster:

Griffin, Ty 2B
Harvey, Ryan OF
Kieschnick, Brook OF
Scott, Gary 3B

#2 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 09:20 AM

This is turning into a Scouting Hall of Shame.
Please don't feed the psychos.

#3 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,641 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 19 September 2011 - 10:05 AM

Scott may not have hit .300, but he did have an .800 OPS between High A and AA as a 21-year-old. That's not too bad.

But, yes, very much crype.

#4 Oswego Chris

Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 19 September 2011 - 10:34 AM

yes I did see that OPS Brett(nothing gets by you)...and I was going to look for his college stats to see if there were any hints of future glory, but I didn't...call it lazy reporting....

#5 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 19 September 2011 - 10:43 AM

Posted Image

Gary Scott was the first CRYPE player I can remember, each spring training he gave us all promise of being the next Santo. Its impressive to think about how pathetic 3B was between Santo and Ramirez. Lets just hope the future isn't as unproductive as the past was at 3B

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#6 auggie1955

auggie1955

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 11:00 AM

Posted Image

Gary Scott was the first CRYPE player I can remember, each spring training he gave us all promise of being the next Santo. Its impressive to think about how pathetic 3B was between Santo and Ramirez. Lets just hope the future isn't as unproductive as the past was at 3B

Sorry MG, but it really ticks me off when Cub fans say they didn't have a 3rd baseman between Santo and Ramirez. We did have one - Bill Madlock. All Madlock did was win 4 NL batting titles (2 with the Cubs), play on the 79 WS Champion Pirates, and also play on the 85 Dodgers (NL West Champs) and 87 Tigers (AL East Champs). The Cubs or I should say the Wrigleys were just too bleeping cheap to keep him!

#7 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 11:52 AM

Sorry MG, but it really ticks me off when Cub fans say they didn't have a 3rd baseman between Santo and Ramirez. We did have one - Bill Madlock. All Madlock did was win 4 NL batting titles (2 with the Cubs), play on the 79 WS Champion Pirates, and also play on the 85 Dodgers (NL West Champs) and 87 Tigers (AL East Champs). The Cubs or I should say the Wrigleys were just too bleeping cheap to keep him!

Absolutely! Madlock was like the Anti-Cub. Great eye, patient and knew how to work a count, pretty damn good fielder too.
Please don't feed the psychos.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).