Bleacher Nation is on Facebook, and you should totally "Like" us:

Bleacher Nation is also on Twitter, and you should totally follow us:

Upcoming Calendar Events

There are no forthcoming calendar events

Today's birthdays

Photo

2012 Draft; who are the Bears going to draft?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 BlueHorizons

BlueHorizons

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationMishawaka, Indiana

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:36 AM

The Bears have many glaring holes in their team. Where the heck do you concentrate on with the draft, in order to begin fixing this team?

Personally, I think you HAVE to start with the offensive line, which truly IS offensive! You have GOT to protect the QB, in order to prevent injuries and to give time for plays to develop. Without a decent O-line, this team is going no where.

Second concentration is on the receivers. The QB HAS to have targets to whom he can throw... and these targets MUST be able to CONSISTENTLY catch the ball, and hopefully run with it. A good TE would be a nice pick... someone that can block AND catch, which could go a long way in improving both the first AND second areas of concentration with one pick!

I'm anxious to see how this team drafts... no longer will Jerry Angelo be around to spread dofuss-ness.

#2 Edgar

Edgar

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:11 PM

I agree with needing help with the OF line but i think they need a DE to take pressure of the offence

#3 dreese

dreese

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationDekalb/Arlington Heights

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:39 PM

The O-Line is a problem but they will be better this year because they are no longer in the martz system. So I expect like 2 pick on the line

The defense should also be a priority cause we need to starting getting younger but on the other hand we do have a good enough defense to make a superbowl run but only like 3 ish more years

This draft will be very interesting... I cant wait!

#4 Robbo

Robbo

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:03 PM

Since you won't be able to get a dominant left tackle where Bears pick I'd rather see best available selected regardless of position. You said it, many glaring holes not to mention some aging talent on D side of ball. Draft best talent with exception of a QB

#5 dreese

dreese

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationDekalb/Arlington Heights

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:06 PM

Yea were pretty awesome at QB right now

#6 BlueHorizons

BlueHorizons

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:06 AM

Yea were pretty awesome at QB right now

Cutler has a big upside (I hope), but so far, I've been on the "disappointed" side with him. I expected much more. BUT ... (notice the big but)... I have to give him a lot of slack. Afterall, he has been playing with basically NO protection... he's had a new offensive scheme pretty much every single year that he's been in the pros.. he hasn't had quality receivers to throw to...

Here's hoping that everything will begin to mesh SOON!

#7 BFiddy

BFiddy

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Twitter:Bridger_Macau
  • Facebook:Bridger Fetters
  • LocationMacau

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:22 AM

There is talk about the Bears needing a WR, but I don't get it. They shouldn't need much more help at WR after getting Marshall? Put him as #1 with Knox and Hester...Bennett and Sanzenbacher for depth. I can't see any reason for them to take a WR early...unless Floyd falls to them...since he would be ridiculous value there. Floyd is the perfect #2 WR...Marshall/Floyd would be slightly weaker than Fitzgerald/Boldin were...I need to stop salivating at the thought...it's not gonna happen.

TE definitely seems like an area of need, but #19 is too high for Fleener, if he gets to them in the 2nd round, would be a nice pick...I doubt he will tho.

CB is a possibility at 19...they need a young guy and Gilmore or Jenkins might be draftable at 19.

If Riley Reiff is there, might make sense to buffer the OL...

Otherwise, best available is probably a DLineman at #19, which fills a need...so that would be my guess. Especially if Jones or Coples slips...maybe they like Branch or take Mercilus from Illinois?
And that's a bad miss...

#8 BlueHorizons

BlueHorizons

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:03 AM

They shouldn't need much more help at WR after getting Marshall? Put him as #1 with Knox and Hester...Bennett and Sanzenbacher for depth.

I sure wouldn't be too optimistic about Johnny Knox... I am STILL cringing everytime that I think about that hit he took last year. To me, watching that replay is MUCH harder than watching Joe Theismann's leg breaking, which is pretty gruesome. I've always respected Knox and how much he had accomplished, so when the injury occured, my heart sank for him. I'm amazed that he wasn't paralyzed. Anyhow, the point that I am making is that I wouldn't be surprised if he was unable to come back from that injury. If he does, I don't think he will be the same.

#9 BlueHorizons

BlueHorizons

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:36 AM

The wait is over... actually it was over roughly 14 hours ago. In this case, the anticipation was MUCH better than the actual event. My first question was, "are you SURE Jerry Angelo is gone?" Followed closely by, "Did the Bear's retain Angelo as a draft consultant?" Yeah, THAT would make total McCaskey sense!

The Bears first choice was "DE" Shea McClellin from Boise State. He's on the small side for a DE (hence the quotes around the position) at 6'3", 260 pounds. He hails from "the farm" in Iowa, and appears to be a very nice and genuine-type guy, with a strong work ethic, but as we all know, that doesn't equate to a forthcoming stellar NFL career, does it?

It's disappointing that when Chicago was "on the clock," there were at least a half-dozen higher rated players that would have better fit into Chicago's needs and schemes. One of which is Nick Perry, who the arch-rival Packers were able to select.

Being a life-long Bears fan, I hope I am wrong and will look back on Emery's first pack with fond memories, but color me skeptical at this point.

Hoping for more positives in the following rounds....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).