Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:35 AM

Yes I realize it's still a small sample size...but it seems to me that at worst Bryan LaHair is a professional hitter, and he didn't just start hitting in the minors last year. I was always a Hendry supporter, but why was this guy not given a chance at the end of D.Lee's reign?

At the very least I think we would have a proven(if he had played the last two years) 25 HR guy that we could move...an asset if you will...

I say start working in left-field Bryan...

#2 FFP

FFP

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationWorcester County, Massachusetts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:59 AM

It IS going to be crowded around first base later this summer, Coach. A very nice problem for a team to have.
I especially like the quality of Lahair's at bats. Even his outs screw with starter's pitch counts. And they do the same with pitch selections for all. I hope his teammates are watching this.

#3 Spencer

Spencer

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationValparaiso, IN

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:13 AM

He's definitely helping his trade value.

#4 DocPeterWimsey

DocPeterWimsey

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:25 AM

LaHair can mash right handed pitching, and if a lefty obligingly hangs a slider, then he can whomp that, too. For all the fact that he's not a good fielder, he's at least versatile: he can play 1B, LF and RF below average, but not catastrophically below (a la David Ortiz or something).

As for his trade value, there is a 2nd half to that equation: will a competitive team be in need of a power-hitting lefty 1B/OF?
Gods don't play dice with the universe, they are the dice of the universe: our job is to figure out how many sides and dice!

#5 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:43 AM

As for his trade value, there is a 2nd half to that equation: will a competitive team be in need of a power-hitting lefty 1B/OF?

History suggests the answer is "probably," but we won't know for sure until we get into June and have a better idea who the realistic playoff teams are.

#6 FFP

FFP

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationWorcester County, Massachusetts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:16 AM

Maybe there's a team in a weak division that makes a charge mid-season and discovers that it needs a power lefty pinching from the bench.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).