#1 Spencer

Spencer

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationValparaiso, IN

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:35 PM

So, LaHair is obviously tearing it up this season.

But with Anthony Rizzo waiting in the wings, is LaHair going to stick around all season or will the Cubs look to deal him around the same time Rizzo is clear to come up after the Cubs would gain an extra year of control for him?

If they don't deal LaHair, would they keep him on the bench, still call up Rizzo, and then platoon the two?

Or, would they keep LaHair all season and keep Rizzo at AAA then start Rizzo in Chicago next year?

Just looking to get some perspective on this from others.

#2 Mr. P

Mr. P

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
  • Twitter:@MikePresley31

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:05 PM

Honestly I don't see him having much trade value so we need to find a place for him to play even when Rizzo comes up. This year isn't enough to prove to teams that he is legit. I know he isn't much of an outfielder, but we have seen the improvements that Dave McKay has been able to get out of Soriano this year. Maybe if LaHair worked with him enough on it in the offseason he could improve as well. Playing the OF isn't completely foreign to him as he had played a good amount in the minors. I can't believe I'm saying this but the DH would come in very handy right about now.

#3 justinjabs

justinjabs

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 366 posts
  • Twitter:justinjabs
  • LocationMilwaukee

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:01 PM

I think Sveum needs to toss him in the outfield once a week and see what happens - I'd rather keep him on the bench than grab another low risk, high reward bullpen arm. He's inexpensive and needs to find his way into a lineup while still letting Rizzo take control this year/next year primarily at first.

Posted Image

"With Reed we will succeed."
Twitter -- Blog

#4 cubs1967

cubs1967

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationOswego

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:47 PM

Trading for Rizzo makes the plan for LaHair very unclear. He could be hitting plus .300 in a month or 6 weeks; however long the Cubs delay his promotion; either due to not wanting him to earn Super 2 status or becasue they don't know what to do with LaHair. LaHair is kinda brutal at 1st; so you know he's gonna be Dave Kingman like in LF plus what to do with thr 50M plus owed Fonzie?? Sori will never be tradeable this year due to his massive salary; maybe play Lahair 2 days a week in LF; 2 at 1st to give Rizzo a break and then launch Sori next year no matter what. Maybe Lahair can play LF for a year or two till the Cubs re-engage in free agent spending; if they wait that long.

#5 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,055 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:14 PM

Trading for Rizzo makes the plan for LaHair very unclear.

The plan for LaHair is crystal clear. He is expendable, and will be removed from 1st as soon as Rizzo is called up. As he should be.

#6 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:40 PM

Let's go play in hypothetical land a minute.

It's July 27. The trading deadline is just around the corner and LaHair is continuing to crush the ball. In fact, his numbers are the same as they are today (.364/.463/.727). His OPS+ is so high planes flying into O'Hare are being routed around it.

Rizzo, meanwhile, is being similarly awesome in Iowa.

Tampa calls the Cubs and says "We need a new DH. We'll give you Wade Davis for LaHair." Take it or leave it?

#7 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:23 PM

Let's go play in hypothetical land a minute.

It's July 27. The trading deadline is just around the corner and LaHair is continuing to crush the ball. In fact, his numbers are the same as they are today (.364/.463/.727). His OPS+ is so high planes flying into O'Hare are being routed around it.

Rizzo, meanwhile, is being similarly awesome in Iowa.

Tampa calls the Cubs and says "We need a new DH. We'll give you Wade Davis for LaHair." Take it or leave it?

Take

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#8 cubs4life

cubs4life

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:10 PM

I think if he continues to hit the way he does, and assuming both LaHair and Rizzo have no set backs and both are crushing the ball i think we have to find a spot for him to play, most likely left field. Of course that becomes an issue with sorriano still roaming roaming there, but i just dont see his trade value soaring high enough this season to get a return of anything more than a mid level prospect. I would hate to seem him ride the bench when rizzo gets called up though either, it would seem to be a waste of a left handed power bat.

#9 Dumpgobbler

Dumpgobbler

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:12 AM

Lahair gets moved when Rizzo comes up. Sorinao probably has to stay for a number of reasons. Lahair to the Blue Jays makes a ton of sense.

#10 Hector Villanueva

Hector Villanueva

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:37 PM

My two cents

LaHair has played left in the minors and is serviceable. If he keeps hitting like this he will stay on the team and play in OF once Rizzo comes up IMO. You can't trade a clutch hitting lefty under team control for what will be his entire career but if you do you cant do it without getting at least two top ten prospects. One would think it would be a couple pitchers. I hope he stays, some clutch bombs and hits to all fields, battles at the plate. need more Cubs like him, less like Sori

#11 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:44 AM

Lahair gets moved when Rizzo comes up. Sorinao probably has to stay for a number of reasons. Lahair to the Blue Jays makes a ton of sense.

Yes. With Adam Lind struggling this year, they need a legit 1B. I believe we should receive Henderson Alvarez in return. A solid, young, #3 starter whose secondary pitches will keep him around for a long time when his fastball velocity decreases over time. We'll throw in Chris Volstad to make them seem like they won.

We become a solid pitching staff in 2013 if we extend Garza (which is looking more and more likely), sign Hamels or McCarthy, and bring up Chris Rusin to compete for the 4/5 slot with Travis Wood (assuming we trade Maholm).

#1. Hamels
#2. Garza
#3. Alvarez
#4. Rusin
#5. Samardzija
or
#1. Garza
#2. McCarthy
#3. Alvarez
#4. Samardzija
#5. Rusin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).