Bleacher Nation is on Facebook, and you should totally "Like" us:

Bleacher Nation is also on Twitter, and you should totally follow us:

Upcoming Calendar Events

There are no forthcoming calendar events

Today's birthdays

Photo

What is it with Ex-Cubs (and Pre-Cubs) players?!!!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 BlueHorizons

BlueHorizons

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationMishawaka, Indiana

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:19 PM

Maybe I'm overly sensistive to this, but my gosh it is SOO frickin' annoying to see STRUGGLING / average (and mediocre) players leaving the Cubs organization, only to see them succeeding in another organization. Similarly, how many times have we seen "star" players coming into the Cubs organization, only to see them founder in the blue pin stripes?!

It's obviously very early, but has anyone noticed what Marlon Byrd has done in the short time (three games) since going over to the Red Sox? He left batting a "sizzling" .070, and since has batted .308! Sure, that is closer to his career average, but why the heck couldn't he do that while still with the Cubs?!

Is there something intrinsically amiss in the Cubs organization that perpetuates these occurances? Is it just my paranoid thinking / imagining?

#2 Stinky Pete

Stinky Pete

The Woodward AND Bernstein of the Message Board

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:09 PM

Are you suggesting there may be some kind of curse?

I would attribute Byrd's "hot start" to the simple change in scenery and ridiculously small sample sizes.

#3 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:33 PM

I use to believe this it somewhere, someone showed me a list of players that left the Cubs and went in to have major success. It was a very low percent it's just when Greg Maddux leaves we remember his success with the Braves but we don't remember the ones who left and did nothing. The whole Byrd situation is a bit reactionary, it's been a few games. As I've been saying, relax.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#4 Katie

Katie

Wait, is this not ChristianMingle.com?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • Twitter:@katiekatcubs

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:24 PM

Three words: Hee Sop Choi
Peg: Oh Al! Did you miss me?
Al: With every bullet, so far.

#5 hawkcub

hawkcub

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationN.E. Iowa

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:44 PM

Nobody thought Byrd was going to bat sub .100 all year.

#6 BlueHorizons

BlueHorizons

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationMishawaka, Indiana

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:52 AM

Just the same, that dark soul of mine, lurking inside me, is watching in anticipation for a Zambrano melt-down... a long stint on the DL for Ramirez... a sudden lack of ability to find the strike zone for Marshall... BUT, in the back of my mind, I can easily imagine Zambrano winning two straight Cy Young awards, Ramirez winning the Triple Crown of batting and Marshall earning World Series MVP honors ...

Of course, this comes from the same mind that "just knows" the Cubs next opponent will have no problem coming back from a five run deficit in the 9th inning, and that the Cubs will not be able to plate a single run with bases loaded and no outs. I guess I've had a lot of practice with this kind of thinking, which typcially is rewarded with the addage, "I KNEW that was going to happen!"

After years of torture, I think the "opt" in my optimism has opted out.

Sorry... I'm better now... Another opportunity to win a new series starts today. Let's give the Phillies their fill of Cubs runs today!

#7 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,639 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:20 PM

At least Bobby Hill didn't blow up.

#8 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:35 PM

Speaking about the Red Sox and Hills... you guys remember how awesome Rich Hill was that one year he actually could find the strike zone? He apparently changed his delivery and is now a side-arming LOOGy coming back from Tommy John with Boston.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).