#1 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,639 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 19 September 2011 - 02:28 PM

So, Netflix is formally splitting its bread and butter DVD shipping business off from its streaming service. The streaming part (which, I recognize, is the future) will remain "Netflix," but the DVD part will become a separate business (which, despite what Netflix says, I'm sure will someday soon be spun off to be its own company; which, yeah, will then die).

I'm kind of bummed, because I'm a dinosaur who was a bigger fan of the DVD part than the streaming part (actually, it's not because I'm a dinosaur - it's because the DVD selection was huge, and the streaming selection sucked).

Now I don't know what I'll do. I'll probably stick with Qwikster for a little bit, but I just don't think it will last. Bummer.

#2 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 19 September 2011 - 02:44 PM

The streaming selection of Netflix sucks all kinds of eggs. My most pressing need is the 3rd season of Parks & Rec, and I humbly accept all due "I told you so"s as deserved.

#3 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 02:48 PM

The streaming selection of Netflix sucks all kinds of eggs.

Truer words were never spoken.
Please don't feed the psychos.

#4 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 19 September 2011 - 03:18 PM

According to today's email they are already two different companies if you use both you get two separate charges. I wish the streaming was better especially in terms of movies, maybe this is a sign of increasing their streaming library.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#5 SirCub

SirCub

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationCarrboro, NC

Posted 19 September 2011 - 04:40 PM

I can hardly believe how crazy people went in response to the price hikes. I, for one, am in complete support of whatever it takes to keep this incredible service in business. And it really makes logistical sense to split the two. The main cost to streaming movies is buying the rights to show the movies (very expensive, I understand), whereas for the mail-delivered DVDs, the cost is in the infrastructure of shipping all of those DVDs, not to mention purchasing the DVDs themselves. It seems to me that they anticipate their streaming market to continue to dominate, while "Qwikster" turns into more of a niche market. I expect that Qwikster will hang around, just in a smaller capacity, and if you want to continue getting that great selection of DVDs, you might just have to pay a little more and wait a little longer.

#6 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 04:52 PM

According to today's email they are already two different companies if you use both you get two separate charges. I wish the streaming was better especially in terms of movies, maybe this is a sign of increasing their streaming library.

I know they're separate - but they're both still owned by "Netflix." My fear is what happens when Qwikster is no longer owned by Netflix - which is coming.

#7 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 20 September 2011 - 10:37 PM

The streaming is so terrible, it's almost not worth having anymore. The price was more than fair for having both services, even with the increase. Anything under 20 bucks a month for unlimited dvd's is worth it. I'll probably stay with the dvd service and start looking around at other streaming services, they seem to be popping up every where.

#8 Alex

Alex

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 03:32 PM

I'm bracing myself for what Netflix/Quixster is going to do next. I currently am still subscribing to both services, but having to log into two separate websites to update my queues sucks BIG time.

#9 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 21 September 2011 - 03:54 PM

I've decided to cancel my Netflix account and try hulu plus, they seem to have more TV shows and I've seen everything worth seeing that Netflix streams.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#10 SirCub

SirCub

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationCarrboro, NC

Posted 18 February 2012 - 07:15 AM

It's like Netflix's version of the Theo compensation. It just never ends.

http://www.slashfilm...ly/#more-121362

#11 Rick Vaughn 99

Rick Vaughn 99

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Facebook:kloyer5
  • LocationAnchorage, AK

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:01 PM

The first lady and I had the day off yesterday with nothing to do, so we finally started watching Lost. But after this, I think I might cancel Netflix. We've started re-watching shows like Weeds, Prison Break and Friday Night Lights. I really feel like I'm taking the wrong path in life when I'm re-watching shows I never really liked in the first place.

Netflix, you are officially on notice. Clean it up, or get the F' off my team.

P.S. - Enjoying Lost. Have a bad feeling about the direction it's going in though.
- die hard fanclub member #001

#12 BFiddy

BFiddy

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Twitter:Bridger_Macau
  • Facebook:Bridger Fetters
  • LocationMacau

Posted 19 February 2012 - 04:39 AM

Stop watching Lost after the second season...

...unless you are interested in a slow decline to absurdity.
And that's a bad miss...

#13 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:09 AM

Stop watching Lost after the second season...

...unless you are interested in a slow decline to absurdity.

RAAAOOOAOOAOARRARARARAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BERT ANGRY! BERT SMASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You, sir, are profoundly mistaken. The show changes dramatically from where it was at the beginning to where it is at the end. That is not absurdity, it is dynamism.

#14 Rick Vaughn 99

Rick Vaughn 99

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Facebook:kloyer5
  • LocationAnchorage, AK

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:37 PM

I don't understand why the not-pregnant blonde and the smokin' hot brunette are wearing shirts all the time. Weather is nice ladies, act like it.
- die hard fanclub member #001

#15 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:19 PM

I don't understand why the not-pregnant blonde and the smokin' hot brunette are wearing shirts all the time. Weather is nice ladies, act like it.

I think the producers or writers must have either been women or attracted to men, because there were more than enough shirtless guy scenes on Lost. Which, coincidentally is my only problem with the show.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).