Drew

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Twitter:@Drew7
  • LocationUrbana, IL

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:13 PM

My son (5) made a jar at school last Father's Day that had a poem attached. In short, the jar was to collect coins until there was enough $ for a "boy's night out". He's been slowly filling the thing up (with his own change he gets for helping mom, Gma, etc.) with the idea of "going to see the Cubbies with Daddy!" when it's full.

There definately isnt enough $ in it to go spend a day with the big league club, and I'd like to count it with him so he can know how much he has and also how much $ a day of fun actually does cost (good learning experience, I feel). Living in Champaign, we are a solid 3.5 hours from Wrigley, but less than 90 min from Peoria, so a Chiefs game seems like a great idea (I've also never been to a game there).

So here's what I'm looking for:
  • What promotional days are fun for kids/were fun for kids in the past?
  • What opponents would be interesting (for me) to watch?
  • How much would a day like this (complete with lunch, tickets, etc.) cost?

If any of you have done something similar in the past, please share you're experience!

Thanks guys

#2 scorecardpaul

scorecardpaul

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationRochester, Illinois

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:18 PM

i think every Sunday they sign autographs after the game?? check out their web site, it's all pretty clearly laid out
Have a good time

#3 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:11 PM

The Chiefs have some of the best promotions in minor league baseball, and their stadium seems to me to be very kid-accessible.

If you can swing a Tuesday game, you can get your tickets buy one get one free with a Taco Bell Doritos taco receipt. They also do some discounted food days that might make it as cost effective to get lunch in the park (for a day game).

If you catch a game with a fire works show, the fireworks are pretty nice. The one I saw was at least a 15-20 minute production. The kids sitting around me seemed to love it.

Even if you don't catch a top-prospect coming into Peoria, there is enough talent on the team to make them well worth seeing. There are several base stealing threats on the Chiefs, so if they can get on base (and they often do), the game should have plenty of exciting moments.

Ticket and parking prices are on the website and have probably changed since I last looked. Food in the park is high, but like I said earlier, they do sometimes have a discounted food nights. Just check the promotions calendar.

All told, for the game I went to last year, I spent about $20-$25, and it was just me. That included parking, the ticket, and supper in the park (no special promotional prices). I didn't buy any memorabilia, either.

Players are very accessible in Peoria. A lot of fans who were sitting near me were able to get autographs or even carry on conversations with players before the game. If head down by the bullpen during the game, sometimes the relievers will talk with you as well. It just depends on who is out there. This is the norm for the minor leagues, by the way. Player-fan interactions tend to be fairly relaxed and friendly.

#4 Drew

Drew

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Twitter:@Drew7
  • LocationUrbana, IL

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:43 PM

Thanks guys. Luke, thats exactly what I was looking for. While I am fairly familiar with Peoria's roster, (thanks mostly to yourself!) I was asking more about teams that may have some cant-miss prospects coming into town. Any team in particular come to mind?

#5 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:42 PM

Thanks guys. Luke, thats exactly what I was looking for. While I am fairly familiar with Peoria's roster, (thanks mostly to yourself!) I was asking more about teams that may have some cant-miss prospects coming into town. Any team in particular come to mind?

Nearly every team that comes through Peoria is going to have at least one Top 10 prospect for that team. Top 100s are more rare.

When are you expecting to go to a game? If it's on the next homestand Beloit and Burlington are coming in.

Burlington is in the Oakland system, and I only see three of Oakland's Top 10 guys on the the roster: #8 Aaron Shipman (OF), #9 B.A. Vollmuth (3B), and #10 Bobby Crocker (OF), None of those guys excite me all that much, but they are still pretty good prospects who might be worth seeing.

Beloit is in the Minnesota system, and there is at least one guy on that roster who may be well worth seeing. The Twin's #1 prospect, Miguel Sano (3B/SS) is playing for Beloit. He's one of the better prospects in all baseball. He is joined by #3 prospect Eddie Rosario (OF/2B), and #12 Madison Boer (P). Those later two don't excite me much either, but Sano could be worth the price of admission.

If you're looking at a different homestand just let me know. I'll glance over the rosters and let you know if I spot anything interesting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).