JCubs79

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Twitter:clarkj79
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:04 PM

It seems like he is doing rather well this season but I'm curious about something with him. Is his future with the team as a relief pitcher or a starter. It seems to me like they really limit him on his innings in the minors. This season he only has 14.2 innings of work I believe but has pitched ridiculously well from what I have read on here and other sites. Now is this due to him returning from an injury? It seemed like he was like this in his breakout year as well.

I'm just curious as to how the Cubs see him going into the future and I would like to here from people much more knowledgeable on Cubs prospects then I am as I unfortunetly never make it out to MiL games due to location and school. Anyone care to educate me a bit?

#2 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,646 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:10 PM

The Cubs still hope he can be a starter, but his innings are definitely being watched closely both due to a blister issue this year, and due to his injuries last year.

#3 JCubs79

JCubs79

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:17 PM

Brett,
That was my original interpretation of why his innings were being limited. I would love for him to eventually become a starter. Seems like he has been dominant so far this year at AA.

#4 Mr. P

Mr. P

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
  • Twitter:@MikePresley31

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:41 PM

I think it has been a combination of his blister problems\injuries and his inefficiency. He has basically been untouchable but tends to run up pitch counts very quickly with his strikeouts and walks.

#5 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:08 AM

I'm starting to think McNutt might be a bullpen guy when its all said and done, but I'd rather he keep starting as long as possible. He has the pitches to be good in either role (although his change up may need some work if he's going to start), but a good starter is generally more valuable than a good reliever.

#6 Mr. P

Mr. P

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
  • Twitter:@MikePresley31

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:59 PM

I'm starting to think McNutt might be a bullpen guy when its all said and done, but I'd rather he keep starting as long as possible. He has the pitches to be good in either role (although his change up may need some work if he's going to start), but a good starter is generally more valuable than a good reliever.

Yeah, I'm starting to think that as well although I don't want to give up on him as a starter just yet. I actually think he could be a lights out closer with the two pitches he has currently. His hook is absolutely devastating from what I have seen of it.

#7 JCubs79

JCubs79

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:09 PM

I think we are in a good position with McNutt either way. If he becomes a reliever he really didn't let anyone down. I mean he was a 32nd round pick. Ideally, I want him to start but it's possible he could become an outstanding closer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).