#1 BlueHorizons

BlueHorizons

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationMishawaka, Indiana

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:41 AM

I cannot even remember a time when my stomach didn't lurch when I saw Marmol coming into a game. Even during his "good" season. I don't think there have been more than a half-dozen appearances when as a Cubs fan, you could lean back in your chair and relax, thinking that the game was now in safe hands. That's crazy! When a team brings in their closer, it's SUPPOSED to be mean the other team's chances are now done and the game will be ending soon. Instead, I'm sure every other team's fans are licking their chops when they know Marmol's in there.

I TRY to relax by telling myself such SILLY things as "it'll be okay, we have a three run lead... even if Marmol sucks, we can still hold on..." But even THAT doesn't fool me, as I've seen WAY too frickin' many games where in eight pitches, he's got runners on 1st and 2nd ... or 2nd and 3rd with no outs and a Cub killing batter is on deck. We know from past (and present) experience that it's just a matter of time before the bases are loaded with maybe one out and a grand slam is slinking in the shadows.

I don't care how much he is getting paid... I don't care if he gets paid for not playing... I just don't want him pitching (in ANY role) unless the game is hopelessly out of reach. It's not fair to the starter that has thrown an excellent game, only to see the W slip out of their fingertips. How many times have we seen that... Garza, Dempster, Samardija, just this year alone. Hell, it's no wonder Zambrano felt compelled to take out his frustrations on the Gatorade dispenser!!! (good thing Marmol was on the mound, or the Gatorade dispenser might have been saved in lieu of the Cub capped, goofy smirked Marmol head)

It's not fair to the fans who have to suffer through it... He has ruined far too many of my days and nights that started out promising - at least until the 9th inning.

I have a great solution... let's take up a collection among Cub's fans... we could each "pitch" (uhh... pun intended) in $10 (I'd pitch in $100) and give the money to Theo in an envelope marked WTF! (Waive The Fu... errr Fricker). How special it would be to see Marmol in a Marlins jersey. Not only would WE be rid of him, but then he would have the opportunity to mess with Ozzie and drive Zambrano over the edge!!! PRICELESS!

#2 BlueHorizons

BlueHorizons

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:45 AM

Upon further, calmer reflection, I have an alternate suggestion if no one else is on board for the WTF! drive...

Bring your pitchforks and torches to the next night game...

#3 cestmoi

cestmoi

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Twitter:ginnycarter1

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:41 PM

I agree, I think we should get him out of the closer's roll until we have a minimum of 20 runs on the opposing team. Then he can come in after everyone has a paper bag to breathe into. I personally hyperventilate when Marmol comes into the game. It is truly nerve-racking.

#4 BlueHorizons

BlueHorizons

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:05 PM

Even more worrisome... the Cubs front office, Sveum, etc., all say they aren't concerned with Marmol's performance. WHAT?! Recent article headlines on Cubs.com include such titles as, "Marmol's misstep Sunday doesn't worry Cubs", "Cubs being patient with hard-working Marmol". To me, the issues with Marmol are glaringly obvious, and have been for a LONG time, dating back to most of last season... maybe before. How can nearly the entire Cubs' fan base be concerned, but the organization is not?

Could it be that the Cubs organization knows there's not many other options? Are they trying to make him trade bait? (doubtful!!) Are they trying to build up Marmol's confidence and/or prevent further damage to his confidence?

I would LOVE to think that Marmol's issues are solvable, and with a few "tweaks" he will be back to his dominating ways, but I don't see that happening.

#5 SirCub

SirCub

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationCarrboro, NC

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:10 PM

Does any body remember Marmol having pinpoint command with his fastball at some point? Like, back when he was a set up guy ('07-'08ish). It was like, every time he threw it it would scrape the outside corner at the bottom of the knees against righties. I mean, sure, he would lose it every once and a while, and give up some walks, but nothing as bad as he is now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).