27 replies to this topic

#1 Southern Cub

Southern Cub

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:42 PM

From MLBTR: Tigers manager Jim Leyland hinted that the Tigers could option Max Scherzer to the minor leagues for a time if his struggles continue. "There are always choices," the skipper said, according to Lynn Henning of the Detroit News. Scherzer has a 7.77 ERA with 10.0 K/9 and 4.8 BB/9 five starts into the season.

I suppose this might be worth following, esp. IF Tigers actually do send him down.

#2 Mr. P

Mr. P

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
  • Twitter:@MikePresley31

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:54 PM

If I remember correctly, we wanted Jacob Turner and Nick Castellanos and Dombrowski didn't want to part ways with either of them. Unless that changes, I'm not sure if Cubs brass would really consider the Tigers. Although, with Jacob Turner's velocity drop, I'm not sure we really want him at this point.

#3 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:22 PM

I think Garza's value might actually have gone up since the last time we were all talking about him and trade rumors. For some reason Turner and Castellanos don't have quite the same appeal as they did before.

#4 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,641 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:42 PM

I think Garza's value might actually have gone up since the last time we were all talking about him and trade rumors. For some reason Turner and Castellanos don't have quite the same appeal as they did before.

I think it has, too. He's shown - so far, and it's a small sample this year - that last year was legit. If that continues, even though the trading team will have lost some control time, his value will continue to increase.

#5 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:12 PM

If the Yanks had anything left in their system I'd think they'd be willing to do anything to get Garza

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#6 Drew

Drew

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Twitter:@Drew7
  • LocationUrbana, IL

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:17 PM

Wasnt Smyly in the conversation at one point?

#7 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:29 PM

If he wasn't, he should have been.

#8 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:37 AM

I initially wanted Turner because he was ranked higher, then I read that Smyly was a control oriented pitcher and I began to crank up the squeal machine.

Garza + Campana for Smyly + Castellanos.

#9 JB88

JB88

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:31 AM

I initially wanted Turner because he was ranked higher, then I read that Smyly was a control oriented pitcher and I began to crank up the squeal machine.

Garza + Campana for Smyly + Castellanos.

I'm less interested in Castellanos, personally.

My dream trade would be Smyly and Turner for Garza and filler. If you are trading Garza, I think you need to get back two starting calibur pitchers. To me, third base is less of a concern for the organization.

#10 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,641 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:45 AM

I have a hard time seeing the Cubs trading Garza unless they're getting back (among other things) two guys who could be starting pitchers in the bigs in the next couple years. Smyly, Oliver, and more. How about that?

#11 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,641 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:45 AM

Of course, if I'm the Tigers, with the way Smyly's pitching, I'm not sure I'd move him for much of anything.

#12 Dumpgobbler

Dumpgobbler

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:07 AM

Detroit still has appeal. Turner has a shoulder issue but I dont think its severe, IIRC. I wanted a Turner, Smyly and a low guy for Garza before the season started. Probably out of the question now.

Hear me out. Garza to Colorado for Nolan Arenado, Chad Bettis and Tyler Matzek for Garza.

#13 Southern Cub

Southern Cub

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:51 AM

Its not really a matter of the Cubs considering Detroit, its how much the need/want that Detroit may have for Garza. If it turns out to be fairly high, Detroit has shown that they will part w/ prospects.

#14 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,641 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:48 PM

Detroit still has appeal. Turner has a shoulder issue but I dont think its severe, IIRC. I wanted a Turner, Smyly and a low guy for Garza before the season started. Probably out of the question now.

Hear me out. Garza to Colorado for Nolan Arenado, Chad Bettis and Tyler Matzek for Garza.

Ha. Dumpgobbler. I've always loved that name.

#15 Dumpgobbler

Dumpgobbler

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:13 PM

Ha. Dumpgobbler. I've always loved that name.

I mean.. what is a dumpgobbler exactly? :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).