fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:10 PM

Not likely. Doug Fister, who did a really good Sutcliffe impression after being acquired last season, is coming off the DL and will take Scherzer's spot in the rotation. They're stocked with pitching (Below in the bullpen can also start) and there's no reason for them to get desperate this early in the season considering how awful the rest of the division has been this year.

#17 Fearbobafett

Fearbobafett

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:45 AM

And with Castellanos hitting what .411 i think i read last night, his value has also gone up. Sure he is destroying High A but he has not slowed down since the season started.

#18 JCubs79

JCubs79

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Twitter:clarkj79
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:16 PM

And with Castellanos hitting what .411 i think i read last night, his value has also gone up. Sure he is destroying High A but he has not slowed down since the season started.

I'm a big Castellanos fan. Seems like he is gonna be a stud in the MLB at this point even though he is just in High A. Plus if he doesn't get traded he'll be destroying the Sox every year which is always a plus!!!

#19 Rated Rookie

Rated Rookie

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Twitter:@Frankieaaron

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:25 AM

Now that the Tigers have gotten their act together and are just 3 games back, I'd love to see them get back in on Garza. Would Garza and Vitters for Castalannos, Porcello, and 1 of Turner/Smyly/Crosby/Oliver be unreasonable?

#20 Drew

Drew

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Twitter:@Drew7
  • LocationUrbana, IL

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:23 AM

I got excited last night when the Orioles took my trade offer of Garza & Vitters for Bundy & Machado! Sure, it was in my Show '12 Franchise, but I still squealed a bit...

#21 Rated Rookie

Rated Rookie

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:13 AM

I miss the days when I could trade Jose Macias for Albert Pujols and the computer would't give me crap about it. Damned AI.

#22 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,639 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:23 AM

Now that the Tigers have gotten their act together and are just 3 games back, I'd love to see them get back in on Garza. Would Garza and Vitters for Castalannos, Porcello, and 1 of Turner/Smyly/Crosby/Oliver be unreasonable?

I don't think that's unreasonable, depending on that last pitcher. If Smyly comes back from his blister fine, though, I can't see the Tigers moving him in a deal for another pitcher.

Not sure I'd do Garza/Vitters for Castelannos/Porcello/Turner or not. I'd have to think about that one, mostly because I don't see a ton of value in Porcello right now (just a lot of future expense).

#23 Rated Rookie

Rated Rookie

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:33 AM

No question, Porcello's a risk, but so is any prospect you'd get. Porcello has big league experience,and the move to the NL could be good for him. I'm not sure how long he's under team control, but the main attraction in this deal would be Castelannos, and depending on the other pitcher, it could be the best haul we could realistically get.

#24 Cubs Dude

Cubs Dude

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 01:05 PM

Personally I would do the deal straight up Garza and Vitters for Smyly or Turner and Castelannos. I wouldn't need Pocello even included. Maybe I am selling low on garza, but I don't think we'll get the haul that is expected.

#25 Rated Rookie

Rated Rookie

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 03:08 PM

I'd trade Garza straight up for Castelannos and 1 of the other 2, but in that case we wouldn't need to throw in Vitters. Maybe toss in a spare part like Johnson, Baker, or Camp if the insisted, but that's about it.

A lot pf people see that Greinke, Marcum, and maybe even Hamels could potentially hit the trading block by July could and think that it takes away some of our leverage, but while Greinke and Hamels may seem more attractive on the surface, the fact that Garza comes with another year of service time and Greinke and Hamels would be 2-3 month rentals makes Garza the most valuable starter on the trade market, unless of course the Mariners finally decide to do the smart thing and shop Felix.

#26 NathanDonald13

NathanDonald13

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 05:28 AM

Who do the Tigers like more: Garza or Dempster?

Who has the best chance of bring back Castellanos and Turner/Smyly?

#27 Rated Rookie

Rated Rookie

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:58 AM

Who do the Tigers like more: Garza or Dempster?

Who has the best chance of bring back Castellanos and Turner/Smyly?

It's not about liking more, it's about the long term aspect. Garza's 28 with another year under team control. A team who gets him could also give him a fat extension. If Castelannos and Turner or Smyly is what we're after, Garza's the only one with a chance to get that.

Dempster would be more for a team who does not want to make a long term commitmant. He's 35 and going to be a free agent after this season. If The Cubs eat all of his remaning salary, it will maximize the return, but even then, we're looking at the back end of somebodies top 10 as opposed to a Top 100 guy which Garza should bring in and then some.

#28 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,639 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:38 AM

Personally I would do the deal straight up Garza and Vitters for Smyly or Turner and Castelannos. I wouldn't need Pocello even included. Maybe I am selling low on garza, but I don't think we'll get the haul that is expected.

In my opinion, you are selling VERY low on Garza.

I'm not saying the Cubs can actually get more, I'm just saying that, if they can't, they should keep him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).