Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:19 PM

A couple top pitching prospects and... a top infield prospect? That's interesting.

The pitching makes sense. I'd think the Cubs would prioritize an outfield bat with some power over another infield at this stage. Of course it should go without saying that they would take a top tier prospect at any position... except possibly first base. It isn't a question of what they would accept, but what they would prefer.

#17 JCubs79

JCubs79

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Twitter:clarkj79
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:33 PM

A couple top pitching prospects and... a top infield prospect? That's interesting.

The pitching makes sense. I'd think the Cubs would prioritize an outfield bat with some power over another infield at this stage. Of course it should go without saying that they would take a top tier prospect at any position... except possibly first base. It isn't a question of what they would accept, but what they would prefer.

I would think that too. The only infield position I could think of that we may prefer would be 3rd base and maybe catcher. Power bat in the outfield makes more sense though.

#18 Dumpgobbler

Dumpgobbler

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:36 PM

I have no objections to acquiring a guy like Middlebrooks.

I just can't get behind the blanket assertion that the Cubs don't have a future 3B at all anywhere in the minors.

I agree. I think we do have a 3b of the future somewhere in the system, whether it's Vitters, Baez or someone else, but it seems like a guy like Middlebrooks is ready now and would it would be ideal to build around him Castro, Rizzo and Jackson if such a trade were to occur.

I still think that Middlebrooks is untouchable and that I wouldn't be opposed to Barnes and another prospect.

In Levine's chat today, he said if Garza were to be traded we would most likely get two top pitching prospects and a top infielder. Is that reasonable to assume?

There is no reason to believe we cant get a package similiar to Greinkes. Greinke fetched 2 top arms rated B+ by Sickels, (Jeremy Jeffress and Jake Odorizzi) and two young highly touted position players (Lorenzo Cain and Alcides Escobar). That should ballpark what we should get.

#19 JCubs79

JCubs79

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:21 PM

I have no objections to acquiring a guy like Middlebrooks.

I just can't get behind the blanket assertion that the Cubs don't have a future 3B at all anywhere in the minors.

I agree. I think we do have a 3b of the future somewhere in the system, whether it's Vitters, Baez or someone else, but it seems like a guy like Middlebrooks is ready now and would it would be ideal to build around him Castro, Rizzo and Jackson if such a trade were to occur.

I still think that Middlebrooks is untouchable and that I wouldn't be opposed to Barnes and another prospect.

In Levine's chat today, he said if Garza were to be traded we would most likely get two top pitching prospects and a top infielder. Is that reasonable to assume?

There is no reason to believe we cant get a package similiar to Greinkes. Greinke fetched 2 top arms rated B+ by Sickels, (Jeremy Jeffress and Jake Odorizzi) and two young highly touted position players (Lorenzo Cain and Alcides Escobar). That should ballpark what we should get.

I think we should be able to get that type of package for him if he continues to pitch like this. But I'm starting to think extending him may be the way to go unless were blown away by an offer at the deadline. 2013 class has a lot of good pitchers but there all getting older and don't fit the plan that Theo and Jed are trying to do with the pitching staff.

Personally like I stated before in this thread, I love Matt Garza, he is extremely valuable to this club in almost all aspects of the game. Great clubhouse guy, so to give him up I would want a deal like Grienke or more in order to take him away from this team.

#20 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:01 PM

This is also highly doubtful. They're talking about going with a six-man rotation since they had to call up Aaron Cook (who is tearing it up in AAA) or grant him free agency. He's taking over for Beckett but he's not hurt just getting extra rest after throwing a shitload of pitches his last start and they're talking about going with a 6 man rotation. If I were Boston, I'd be more worried about getting an outfielder than renting a starter.

#21 JCubs79

JCubs79

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:50 PM

This is also highly doubtful. They're talking about going with a six-man rotation since they had to call up Aaron Cook (who is tearing it up in AAA) or grant him free agency. He's taking over for Beckett but he's not hurt just getting extra rest after throwing a shitload of pitches his last start and they're talking about going with a 6 man rotation. If I were Boston, I'd be more worried about getting an outfielder than renting a starter.

It wouldn't really be a rental because they would have him for another year after. Essentially they would be getting a year and half of control of Garza.

#22 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:25 PM

Still doesn't make sense when they're trying to win the AL East with an outfield that consists of Ryan Sweeney (I know he's tearing it up right now but he has absolutely no power at a corner outfield spot), Marlon Byrd, and Cody Ross. I'm guessing if anybody in the AL East goes for him it'll be the Blue Jays if they're still contending mid-season.

#23 JCubs79

JCubs79

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 04 May 2012 - 01:10 PM

Still doesn't make sense when they're trying to win the AL East with an outfield that consists of Ryan Sweeney (I know he's tearing it up right now but he has absolutely no power at a corner outfield spot), Marlon Byrd, and Cody Ross. I'm guessing if anybody in the AL East goes for him it'll be the Blue Jays if they're still contending mid-season.

The Blue Jays do have a very good farm system. We could possibly get Noah Syndergaard, Deck McGuire, and either Anthony Gose or Jake Marisnick. They would have a good package to offer as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).