Bleacher Nation is on Facebook, and you should totally "Like" us:

Bleacher Nation is also on Twitter, and you should totally follow us:

Upcoming Calendar Events

There are no forthcoming calendar events

Today's birthdays

Photo

Has anyone heard how Javier Baez is doing???

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 broste21

broste21

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationCartersville,Ga ( Mayberry)

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:02 AM

I certainly hope this kid is a fast riser. Combine him with Rizzo, Jackson and Castro and goodness, thats a core you can build around.

#2 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:04 AM

He is in extended spring training.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#3 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:39 AM

He is in extended spring training.

He is hitting the ball all over the place, but he is striking out a lot, hadn't taken a walk as of the end of April, and his defense is bad.

#4 Mr. P

Mr. P

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
  • Twitter:@MikePresley31

Posted 02 May 2012 - 01:31 PM

Arizona Phil does a great job of keeping track of the kids at Extended Spring Training. Here is the stats he has complied.

http://www.thecubrep...tats-update-429

#5 Fearbobafett

Fearbobafett

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:59 AM

Last i read the he should be getting moved from EST and assigned in the next couple of weeks.

#6 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:21 AM

He's currently on the roster for Boise, but I wouldn't read too much into that. My sense of it is that he has not look as advanced as the Cubs were hoping. I'd not be surprised if he began his pro career in the Rookie League instead of Boise. That would allow the Cubs to drop Marco Hernandez back to Boise to play short. Darvill would take over at short in Peoria, opening third for... someone. Geiger, most likely, but I wouldn't rule out Amaya or Candelario (though he is a long shot).

#7 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,639 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:36 AM

He's currently on the roster for Boise, but I wouldn't read too much into that. My sense of it is that he has not look as advanced as the Cubs were hoping. I'd not be surprised if he began his pro career in the Rookie League instead of Boise. That would allow the Cubs to drop Marco Hernandez back to Boise to play short. Darvill would take over at short in Peoria, opening third for... someone. Geiger, most likely, but I wouldn't rule out Amaya or Candelario (though he is a long shot).

I had similar thoughts. I still think he could wind up at Boise, though, which would be just fine, given his age. I think guys are going to be promoted more slowly now.

(Moving this to the prospect forum.)

#8 Fearbobafett

Fearbobafett

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:41 AM

Don't rush the kid. When he is ready move him along. We can't have another top 10 pick turn out to be a bust.

#9 MC2

MC2

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Facebook:Mark Comparet
  • LocationFort Wayne, In.

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:12 AM

Apparently he has a lot of maturing to do, a couple weeks back he hit one out, did the "Sammy Hop", and took a casual stroll around the base paths. A coach from the opposing team took offense at his sauntering stroll and yelled out for him to "Run the Bases". Baez crossed home and told the coach to, mind his own f###ing business he would do what he wants to". I was told the benches cleared and Baez had to be restrained by his teammates and coaches. Not exactly how you picture the "Cub Way" working out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).