#1 BlueHorizons

BlueHorizons

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationMishawaka, Indiana

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:35 AM

I'm probably in the minority on this, but I am a proponent of using instant replay for assuring that the proper calls are being made. I find it incredibly frustrating when I see botched calls that could potentially affect the outcome of a game - worse still a playoff series could be impacted.

Another example of a bad call took place yesterday. Dodger Jerry Hairston was called out at first on an absolutely horrible call, when Colorado's Todd Helton caught the ball, clearly two feet off the bag. (see article / video) http://sports.yahoo....-235447642.html

I realize that the arguments are that "it will remove the human element from the game." Who cares? I'd rather the calls be made correctly, than worry about retaining the human element, "tradition" and all of that. I don't think the game would be any less exciting, and the beauty is, there would be no more whining about bad umpires, poor calls, etc.

Some say it will slow down the game. Yeah, perhaps, but as long as rules are implemented to help limit replay reviewing delays, it would not be that much of a change - if at all. Much like the NFL has done, limits could be put into place as to how many reviews are allowed per game, or per inning. Additionally, the typse of reviewable plays could be limited.

The umpires are obviously against the use of instant replays, as well, mostly because it could graphically demonstrate the inaccuracy of their calls.

#2 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,639 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:53 AM

MLB doesn't do much right, but I kind of like the way they've been slow-playing the replay issue.

#3 Spencer

Spencer

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationValparaiso, IN

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:54 AM

All it'll take is a blown call in a playoff game and they'll move to expanded replay.

#4 Robbo

Robbo

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:59 AM

I would be all for some sort of a challenge system like NFL has where you throw a red flag to stop and review, but I would only allow each manager 1 challenge per game. That way the game isn't slowed down by constant boring ass replays. The manager will need to be strategic about calling for replay and may want to hold off challenging a first inning close play at 1B in case its needed later.

#5 Cerambam

Cerambam

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Twitter:cerambam1736
  • Facebook:michael Anthony

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:35 PM

what about something like 7th inning and on umpire reviews similiar to booth reviews for the last 2 minutes in the nfl

#6 SirCub

SirCub

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationCarrboro, NC

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:01 PM

I would be all for some sort of a challenge system like NFL has where you throw a red flag to stop and review, but I would only allow each manager 1 challenge per game. That way the game isn't slowed down by constant boring ass replays. The manager will need to be strategic about calling for replay and may want to hold off challenging a first inning close play at 1B in case its needed later.

That might actually speed up the game, because nobody would come out and argue (at least not before using their challenge).

#7 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:00 PM

MLB doesn't do much right, but I kind of like the way they've been slow-playing the replay issue.

Same here, ive said it before but what I love about baseball is that it's so beautifully flawed. The strike join is never the same, fields have different deminsons, etc, but if replay is expanded it will just lead to robots calling balls and strikes and everything being "fair" - Fuck that I'll take the flaws.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).