3 replies to this topic

#1 Cubs Dude

Cubs Dude

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:48 AM

Brett, brought up an interesting point in his last Hot Stove about Levine's thoughts on Hamels going to the Cubs. Apparently, he thinks Hamels is too old. I am just a little confused on what exactly the Cubs are going to do in free agency in the near future. Most first time free agents are around 28 or 29. So if Hamels, who will be 29 next season is too old to go after, who is the right age? Are we going to go another offseason without making a splash? We got Dempsters, Zambrano's, and Byrd's salaries off the books. We got to do something right?

#2 Oswego Chris

Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:34 PM

I think you are rarely going to see great "young" players make it to free agency...too many teams have gotten wise to pay earlier and lock guys up until their late 20's....I expect the Cubs to do something similar with Castro(unless he really regresses)...

#3 Cubs Dude

Cubs Dude

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:41 PM

No doubt. I know most teams are trying to lock their young talent up, so teams like the Yankees can't get involved in the bidding. My question is what are the type of free agents we will be going after in the near future. To me Hamels (a durable lefty) seems exactly what the Cubs could use.

#4 JCubs79

JCubs79

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Twitter:clarkj79
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:43 PM

Castro most likely will get an extension after this year IMO.

Brett did bring up a good point though about Hamels in the bullets. Really looking at the FA list for 2013 pitchers there really isn't any pitcher that fits what Jed and Theo want for their "plan". A young pitching staff. Really we may be better off extending Garza and then finding other ways to trade for young pitching talent or drafting college arms in this upcoming draft that can get through the system fairly quickly.

I like Cole Hamels a lot and I would love to see him with the Cubs but from a long term perspective, does signing him make sense for us? I'm not sure if it does at this point.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).