9 replies to this topic

#1 Cubs Dude

Cubs Dude

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:21 AM

How frustrated does everyone thing the front office is? Sure, we have had some good things happen with Shark and LaHair. But the guys they needed to play well early (Byrd, Sori, Marmol, and Soto) have all been terrible. At this point it looks like they will have to eat every dime of Sori, and Marmols contracts and get a marginal prospect back like in the Byrd deal. Soto may be able to get to a slighlty better return because of his position and less ridiculous contract, but I don't expect much. I can just picture Theo shaking his head in the 9th yesterday...

#2 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:27 AM

Or, they have been trying to trade most of these guys all along and couldn't get enough/anything in return for them. It makes perfect sense for this team to slowly trade all of it's older players and put newer, younger players in their places. No team can replace 7 position players, 3 starting pitchers, and half the bullpen in one offseason when they are still saddled with a ton of bad contracts. Most of us here are aware that the Cubs will have to eat big contracts to move Soriano and Marmol, and the return for Soto is going to be minimal. I don't think that they are frustrated at all, I think this is pretty much how they expected things to go and they are working on continuing the long term rebuilding of the Cubs, not panicking because the team that won 70 games last year played poorly for most of April.

#3 Cubs Dude

Cubs Dude

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:33 AM

No doubt King. I am sure the F.O. guys try not to let slow starts of certain players make them mad. This is going to be a long process. But it sure would have helped them out if those guys could have been a little better early on. Right??

#4 SirCub

SirCub

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationCarrboro, NC

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:37 AM

I agree with both sentiments here. I'm sure Theo and Jed are realistic about what they can expect out of these deals, and they have certainly been working tirelessly behind the scenes to see what they can get done. But, to the Dude's point, I'm sure they would've welcomed a hot start by their players, as it might make their job of selling them a little bit easier (even if incrementally so).

#5 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:48 AM

No doubt King. I am sure the F.O. guys try not to let slow starts of certain players make them mad. This is going to be a long process. But it sure would have helped them out if those guys could have been a little better early on. Right??

It would have given me a lot less stress this early on that's for sure. I'm sure they are aware that both Marmol and Soriano are washed up, and sooner rather than later, they are going to find a creative way to move them. It still seems like the right move was to give these guys an opportunity at the beginning of this year to rebound and maybe build some value, but I'm sure that Theo and Jed aren't going to be sticking with unproductive players the way Hendry, Quade, and Lou did in the past few years.

#6 cys_av8r

cys_av8r

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 278 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:49 AM

What do you think the long term plan is for a manager? Does anyone think that our boy Dale was a guy that Theo and crew thought could kick off the rebuilding process, but wasn't their man long term? Do they have their eyes on their real man from afar, waiting for all the home grown talent to be ready and augment it with some big names?

I have bagged on Dale a few times and the more I see, the more I think he isn't ready to a big league manager.

#7 BlueHorizons

BlueHorizons

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationMishawaka, Indiana

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:56 AM

I had high hopes for Sveum, but now I realize that I must've just been high. Yesterday's game and the way it was handled and the decisions he made are plenty of proof that he is not destined to be the skipper of the future.

#8 SirCub

SirCub

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationCarrboro, NC

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:02 AM

I had high hopes for Sveum, but now I realize that I must've just been high. Yesterday's game and the way it was handled and the decisions he made are plenty of proof that he is not destined to be the skipper of the future.

That was my knee-jerk reaction, too. But having slept on it, I think it was somewhat defensible. First off, we've seen over the years that Marmol is a guy that can come in and look awful for two batters, then flip a switch and strike out the side. And really, he came pretty darn close. If Stewart makes that play... but regardless, I think Dale had an incentive to stick with Marmol and see if he could get out of it. Not only for this game, but for the rest of the season. If Marmol flips the switch in that inning, and shuts the door, that's a huge confidence boost for him, and maybe the switch stays on. But if Dale has to come pull him, then he has probably lost his closer.

And I think there was evidence that Marmol was maybe starting to "find it" in that AB against Phillips (he made some good pitches there). Then, obviously the wheels came off.

I know the manager's primary focus has to be to win the game they're currently playing, but I think Dale was really trying to manage for the future there, by giving Marmol a chance to prove his value (Both for the the Cubs this season, and as a potential trade piece). Clearly, that is not the way a winning team manages, but this is not a winning team. It's kind of like the opposite of Quade, who only played players he thought gave him the best chance to win, regardless of which players the team might benefit from getting a look at in the long run.

#9 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:47 AM

If Theo and Jed didn't expect the Cubs to suck this season I would be worried about their player evaluation capabilities.

#10 Dumpgobbler

Dumpgobbler

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:24 PM

This is a 65 win team. Maybe less when we deal Dempster and Garza. We really have to think about it. We only have a handful of players who are long term plan guys. Looking at the 25 man roster, our only long term players are Castro, Shark, Barney (Super utility role) and Dolis. Russell, Volstad and Castillo could very well work themselves in there as well. In 2 years our roster will be almost unrecognizable. Dejesus, Stewart, Maholm.. these are all guys that we hope we can raise value on and cash in on. Theo and Jed are fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).