4 replies to this topic

#1 Cubs Dude

Cubs Dude

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:49 AM

I was wondering what everyone in the know's thoughts are on B Jax. Personally, I have never seen him play and by all accounts he is a patient hitter, who does a lot well and nothing great. I know he K's a ton, and also has a good make up. But I was looking up his minor league #'s and they look pretty pedestrian. What are your thoughts??

#2 JCubs79

JCubs79

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Twitter:clarkj79
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:02 PM

I was wondering what everyone in the know's thoughts are on B Jax. Personally, I have never seen him play and by all accounts he is a patient hitter, who does a lot well and nothing great. I know he K's a ton, and also has a good make up. But I was looking up his minor league #'s and they look pretty pedestrian. What are your thoughts??

He's gonna be a solid major league player IMO. Will probably see some 20-20 years but he does everything very well. and I'm looking forward to seeing him up in the big leagues. Needs to cut down on his strike out though a lot.

#3 Segal27

Segal27

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Twitter:Segal27
  • LocationBuffalo Grove

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:44 PM

I have HUGE expectations of him, I have watched him and kept up with him since his college days and I feel if he is a Superstar he will at least be a star. He will be a fan favorite player who is great in the club house and will hopefully be a Cub his entire carrer

#4 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:26 PM

He reminds me a LOT of Steve Finley. I see them having similar careers. Solid, yet unspectacular.

#5 Drew

Drew

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Twitter:@Drew7
  • LocationUrbana, IL

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:29 PM

I wouldnt describe his numbers in the minors as "pedestrian", he has a career .875 OPS and career OBP of .390.

Cutting down on the K's isnt as simple as it may seem. Him consciously trying to make more contact will almost certainly have a negative effect on his OPS; Trying to make more contact will create more weak contact and cause him to not work the count as deep as he does, leading to less walks.

IF he can maintain his current K rate (something like 23%) I have no problem with it, especially coming from the leadoff hitter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).