8 replies to this topic

#1 LoneStarCub

LoneStarCub

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:16 PM

I am writing a persuasive paper in my english class and I need some input.

My paper is going to be 8 pages long and it will be titled, "The Reasons Why The Cubs Should Play More Night Games".

So basically I'd like to quote you guys and see if you know of any good articles that talk about the Cubs, MLB night games, Why they play so many day games, Your opinions on what would be the benefits of more night games etc...

I would really appreciate any and all help.

Thank You!

LoneStarCub

#2 FFP

FFP

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 407 posts
  • LocationWorcester County, Massachusetts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:37 PM

Your teacher will appreciate it if you spell it "English class" not "english class." There are only two places 'english' is spelled with a small 'e' -- the first is where you're playing pool and you put extra spin on the ball. That spin is called 'english.' The other place is where you want your English teacher to know you don't really care about class. You do care, or you wouldn't be asking for help here.

Sorry I can't give you much more help, other than a prayer that your title is that of a stunning satire, perhaps in the spirit of 'A Modest Proposal.'

Good luck with the paper.

#3 LoneStarCub

LoneStarCub

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:57 PM

Yeah I did not think before I posted this.

If I could figure out how to delete it I would.

Sorry

#4 FFP

FFP

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 407 posts
  • LocationWorcester County, Massachusetts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:31 PM

It's OK.

By satire, I meant that I am on the side that wants to keep day games, so I hoped that your title was the sort of sarcastic joke, like when you say, "Yah, school lunch was great." When it was really awful.

One reason they still have day games is tradition. So here is a quote you might use. "Following traditions that have become dead to you blur the distinction of your character." Ralph Waldo Emerson. It means you shouldn't do things the way everyone always has for no good reason. You shouldn do it your own, new way (night games in Chicago) Google the quote to correct it if you use it, though. I wrote it here from memory.

Some traditions are good, though; sports writing in Chicago, for example. You are stepping into a great line. I wonder what Ring Lardner thought about Wrigley?

Don't worry about asking questions here. "Heaven will not have her work made manifest by cowards." That's Emerson, too. You probably can't use that one in this paper. I just like it.

#5 JustSwain

JustSwain

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 04:09 AM

The most common reasons cited for wanting the Cubs to play more night games are these:

During the weekday, night games tend to attract a larger audience than day games resulting in a larger revenue stream for the Cubs. This in turn results in more available capital for investing in facilities and payroll. This can be extended into the realm of television as well. More night games lead to higher television ratings, which lead to more lucrative television contracts.

Day games following night games leave very little time for players to rest and prepare between games. This can increase player fatigue over the course of a year, which can in turn grant a competitive advantage to the Cubs opponents who play mostly night games and have a more even schedule. The same can be said for day games following travel days.

Those are the two big ones.

There are some obstacles in place that make it difficult for the Cubs to play more night games. The most common objection to the idea of playing more night games is presented by the residents who occupy the neighborhood surrounding Wrigley Field and claim that night games create disturbances. Wrigley is a bit unique in that it is surrounded by a predominantly residential neighborhood. Most baseball stadiums are now located in buisness districts and downtown spaces rather than smack in the middle of a dense residential neighborhood.

The other common objection comes from purists and traditionalists such as myself who say that Wrigley Field was built for day baseball. When I went to my first Cubs game at Wrigley Field it was a day game which was probably a good thing considering the stadium had no lights. They weren't installed until 1988.

Hope that helps.

#6 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,646 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:40 AM

The constant schedule-changing from day games to night games (to day games to night games (to day games to night games)) takes a toll on the human body, which is not designed to adjust that rapidly or frequently to body clock changes. That toll builds up over the course of the season, and Cubs players are disproportionately affected, because they are asked to make those changes more frequently than players on other teams. In theory, this leaves them more worn down than players on other teams come August and September.

#7 CubFanBob

CubFanBob

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:18 AM

For the fans perspective it's far easier to go to night games during the weekday. A Friday night game would be pure awesome.

#8 Spencer

Spencer

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationValparaiso, IN

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:06 PM

You could look up all of the articles on this site, or quotes from players bitching about how it drains you over the course of the season. I'm sure Brett could find them with ease.

#9 Robbo

Robbo

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:46 PM

LoneStar...would love to help you here but I am among the twisted minority that don't want more night games. I believe it does take more of a toll on players but I selfishly love day baseball and nothing beats skipping out on work early to go to a Friday afternoon game at Wrigley to kick off the weekend.

It's cool you get to write about a subject you are passionate about, please post your paper on the site when done, it will probably be a good read.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).