9 replies to this topic

#1 EQ76

EQ76

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 02:20 PM

Any guesses on what next year's payroll will be? I have a sneaky suspicion that Rickett's may not only make a big splash with his GM hire, but that he may pony up a little more payroll next year for the new GM to work with.

Yes, I know the FA class is weak, but there's also trades, Fielder & Pujols ,and the possibility that they extend ARam and Dempster.

So, any guesses on what next year's payroll number could be?

My guess - $150 million

#2 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 02:27 PM

I'm guessing it will be up, but I'll guess $140 million.
Please don't feed the psychos.

#3 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,646 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 20 September 2011 - 05:02 PM

I think the next GM will be given a fair bit of ambit, but I'm guessing the number is closer to $120 million than $140 or 150 million. Just a guess.

#4 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,480 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 20 September 2011 - 05:29 PM

I think the next GM will be given a fair bit of ambit, but I'm guessing the number is closer to $120 million than $140 or 150 million. Just a guess.

I think you are probably right, but that number might be what they get to spend after Zambrano and Soriano are expunged from the payroll. So it could technically be 150 million without actually being 150 million worth of players, kind of like this years team.

#5 Dave

Dave

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationSpringfield, MO

Posted 20 September 2011 - 07:41 PM

As weak as the FA class is, I hope it doesn't shoot up to $150 million unless two of Pujols/Fielder/Sabathia/Wilson are added, the team needs impact players which you aren't going to get with a handful of $5 millon guys.

#6 Alex

Alex

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 02:34 PM

Cot's Baseball Contracts has the Cubs payroll right now at $72,600,000 for next season including Soriano's and Z's contracts. Even with a bump in pay for the younger players and Garza's upcoming arbitration, that should take the Cubs around $85 - $90 Million.

I think a $120 Million is probably where the Cubs will start and progressively increase as the new GM sees which of the prospects will become bonafide major leaguers and then fills in the need positions with free agents.

#7 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,646 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 06:11 PM

As weak as the FA class is, I hope it doesn't shoot up to $150 million unless two of Pujols/Fielder/Sabathia/Wilson are added, the team needs impact players which you aren't going to get with a handful of $5 millon guys.

Bingo.

It tends to be the case - not a hardline rule, but tends to be the case - that a $10 million free agent is more than twice as valuable as two $5 million free agents.

#8 Dave

Dave

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationSpringfield, MO

Posted 21 September 2011 - 06:33 PM

It tends to be the case - not a hardline rule, but tends to be the case - that a $10 million free agent is more than twice as valuable as two $5 million free agents.

Somehow Cubs free agents tend to be half as valuable as those earning half as much with other teams.

#9 EQ76

EQ76

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 07:16 AM

does that 72 mil. count Dempster & Ramirez? because if not, and they both stay (which it sounds like Ramirez won't) then next year's payroll will be over 100 mil. to start with. If we signed Fielder only and those 2 stay, we'd be over 120 mil.

#10 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,646 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 09:53 AM

There will be a front page post about the 2012 payroll coming at some point in the future. Hardtop put together some great info on it, and I'm in the process of synthesizing it into a post. Hopefully it will clarify a lot of the salary issues going forward.

Probably won't be for a couple weeks, though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).