Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:27 AM

*crype(adj,noun)- a once hyped Chicago Cub prospect who turns out to be crap.

A bit of a disclaimer before this one, I get the feeling that I am a bit older than most of you that frequent this site. However, I still surf with the internet and get the E-Mail so I am not totally out of it.

P- HERMAN SEGELKE

Wha? Who? Yes I realize that most of you have never heard of this piece of crype, so consider this a history lesson as well. 1977 was the first season that I watched every Cub game, followed the team, and I was aware of our top pitching prospect...Herman Segelke:
Drafted in the 1st Round(7 overall) in 1976...Herman spent the late 70's and early 80's piling up minor league ERA's of 4.46, 4.59, 5.23, 4.74, 5.97, and 5.92(and remember, in the late 70's a 4.00 was BAD!). He finally made it to the big club in 1982 where he posted an 8.31 over 4 plus innings pitched. That was it for Herman.
Not interested in Herman? Are you thinking this guy shouldn't be included on this fine team? Well take a look at some of the other players drafted in 1976:(also, keep in mind this was a time when only 24 teams were in The MLB)

Mike Scoscia, Alan Trammell, Bruce Hurst, Rickey Henderson, Jack Morris, Mike Scott, Ozzie Smith, Wade Boggs, Willie McGee, Dave Smith

Holy Hall of Famers and World Series Rings! The Cubs 76 draft produced NO players who played in the majors with any significance, and all of these players were there? Did we even have a scouting department? Only 24 teams picking and we couldnt get one of these guys?

So welcome to the Crype team Herman Segelke!

CURRENT CRYPE ROSTER: Ty Griffin, Earl Cunningham, Brooks Kieschnick, Gary Scott, Ryan Harvey, Herman Segelke

#2 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:42 AM

I was certainly watching back in those days, but I don't remember Herman. Must be one of those "repressed memory" thingies. Thanks for bringing that back to the top of the pile.
Please don't feed the psychos.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).