Edgar

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:03 PM

BEST
  • autodrafting bedard. if it wasnt for him I would of lost the first week agaisnt Katie.
  • Finding Pavano.
  • Getting Gerardo Parra. he is doing a great job while Chris Young is on the DL
Worst
  • Drafting Pineda. torn labrum never pitched dropped.
  • dropping Colon instead of Niemann. ended dropping Niemann two weeks later.
  • thinking Gaby Sanchez was legit.

so um yeah what are you best/worst decisions

#2 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:23 PM

Best:
  • Drafting Barry Zito and Jarrod Parker. Early in the season Zito gave me a couple great starts, and Parker, when he finally got promoted, has been pretty good.
  • Adding Brian Bogusevic. That guy is putting up more points some outfielders I had targeted in the draft.
  • Loading my bench with prospects. In a weekly format I didn't think a bench would be all that useful (unless I could land a ton of starting pitching), so I turned my bench into a farm system. So far, thanks to the DL, I've managed to survive without having an active player on my bench.
  • Trashing my draft strategy in Round 3. I had a plan, but the early rounds did not work out like I expected. Instead of sticking to the plan, I played it by ear from my third pick on. In hindsight, that was absolutely the right move.
Worst
  • Maybe Mike Minor. He hasn't been as effective as I thought he would be.
  • My outfield. Granderson has been awesome, but I think I could have done better than Bay and Thames. Neither guy has given me much this season.
I'm fairly happy with my team so far. My offense worries me (I'm no where near the leader in offense at any position), but I have a bunch of hitters who aren't hitting yet. My pitching has performed enough to keep me winning, though, so I really can't complain.

#3 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:04 PM

Best:
1. Autodrafting my team.
2. Sticking with Peavy - the dude has been The Dude so far.
3. Trading Andrew Cashner for Tyler Skaggs - Skaggs hasn't pitched a lick but I just like the move.

Worst:
1. Thinking Chris Sale was interesting and not trading him
2. Not trading Jayson Werth
3. Playing Brendan Ryan at SS
4. Starting Brian Robinson over Jayson Werth

#4 Rick Vaughn 99

Rick Vaughn 99

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Facebook:kloyer5
  • LocationAnchorage, AK

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:37 PM

Best:
1. Trading Jose Bautista for Cuddyer and Moustakas and a 5th round pick. I hit the panic button trying to land someone at 2nd base. Probably (definetly) could have gotten more, but couldn't go into the year with Ryan Rayburn at 2nd. Cuddyer has been awesome for me there and Moustakas has had a better year so far than Bautista. I'm sure that'll change, but so far I figure it's gotten me a couple of wins that I wouldn't have had with Bautista and Rayburn struggling in those spots.
2. Taking chances on Adam Dunn, Justin Morneau and a few others.
3. Matt Wieters and Josh Hamilton.

Worst
1. Possibly the same thing I posted at #1 as my best move. Love Cuddyer though. Hopefully Bautista continues to struggle so I can look like the genius that I am.
2. Not grabbing Peavy in the draft. He's always been one of my favorite players.
3. Luke Hochevar lost me 33 points last week.

I love my team though. Soon I'll have Stephen Drew cleaning up the terds that Brandon Crawford has been dropping at shortstop all year. And the return of doug fister (and eventually the evil Chris Carpenter) will give me solid depth in my rotation.
- die hard fanclub member #001

#5 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:48 PM

Yeah...

The two guys above list trades with me as their best moves of the season. Maybe I should start driving harder bargains...

#6 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:52 PM

Best:
I absolutely killed in the mid to later rounds of the draft:
- Edwin Encarnacon in the 13th round. As of today he was the 2nd ranked player in our league.
-Alejandro De Aza in the 14th round. He's had a couple of big games and been the difference in at least one matchup for me this year.
-Joe Saunders in the 19th round. He's a top 30 pitcher so far this year. I know it won't last, but it's been great so far.
-Trading for Roy Halladay. My pitching was looking weak, and I needed an ace. I gave up a couple of good players and a first rounder, but it looks like it's going to pay off at least for this year.
-Signing Derek Lowe after the draft. He's been a huge help, except when I needed him to keep pace with Felix Hernandez.

Worst:
The early part of the draft. I like Castro, Kinsler, and Shields as my top 3 picks, but from there on out it was bad.
-BJ Upton in the 4th. He missed over a month, but has been good since, so this might not be such a bad pick.
-JP Arencibia in the 5th. He's been pretty inconsistent so far and his k's are killing me.
-Logan Morrison in the 6th. He's been pretty average, not the breakout I was expecting.
-Paul Goldschmidt in the 7th. See above.
-Alfonso Soriano in the 9th. What the fuck was I thinking?

My offense is very inconsistent, but it scores in bunches, and my pitching is solid. It should keep me in the playoff hunt all year. I just need one or two of my early draft picks to break out.

#7 Edgar

Edgar

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 07 May 2012 - 06:15 PM

Best:
I absolutely killed in the mid to later rounds of the draft:
- Edwin Encarnacon in the 13th round. As of today he was the 2nd ranked player in our league.
-Alejandro De Aza in the 14th round. He's had a couple of big games and been the difference in at least one matchup for me this year.
-Joe Saunders in the 19th round. He's a top 30 pitcher so far this year. I know it won't last, but it's been great so far.
-Trading for Roy Halladay. My pitching was looking weak, and I needed an ace. I gave up a couple of good players and a first rounder, but it looks like it's going to pay off at least for this year.
-Signing Derek Lowe after the draft. He's been a huge help, except when I needed him to keep pace with Felix Hernandez.

Worst:
The early part of the draft. I like Castro, Kinsler, and Shields as my top 3 picks, but from there on out it was bad.
-BJ Upton in the 4th. He missed over a month, but has been good since, so this might not be such a bad pick.
-JP Arencibia in the 5th. He's been pretty inconsistent so far and his k's are killing me.
-Logan Morrison in the 6th. He's been pretty average, not the breakout I was expecting.
-Paul Goldschmidt in the 7th. See above.
-Alfonso Soriano in the 9th. What the fuck was I thinking?

My offense is very inconsistent, but it scores in bunches, and my pitching is solid. It should keep me in the playoff hunt all year. I just need one or two of my early draft picks to break out.

De Aza and Encarnacion were the reasons you beat me.

#8 Spencer

Spencer

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationValparaiso, IN

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:02 AM

Best: Snagging Will Middlebrooks a week before he got called up.
Worst: Waiting too long to draft a 2B and being forced to start Ryan Raburn.

#9 butlerdawgs

butlerdawgs

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Twitter:mwerner1814

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:12 PM

Best: getting Paul Konerko (he's pretty much the only person on my team doing anything.
Worst: Autodrafting
My team is straight up awful and everyone is available in trade

#10 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:06 PM

Best: Snagging Will Middlebrooks a week before he got called up. Worst: Waiting too long to draft a 2B and being forced to start Ryan Raburn.

Ya, my general strategy is to draft up the middle before I move on. Bigger difference between the 10th/1st best 2b/ss/cf and the best/10th best 1B, SP. Then again, if I had the first pick this year I would have taken Miguel Cabrera just because he was going to get the 3b eligibility.

#11 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:39 AM

Best: Snagging Will Middlebrooks a week before he got called up. Worst: Waiting too long to draft a 2B and being forced to start Ryan Raburn.

Ya, my general strategy is to draft up the middle before I move on. Bigger difference between the 10th/1st best 2b/ss/cf and the best/10th best 1B, SP. Then again, if I had the first pick this year I would have taken Miguel Cabrera just because he was going to get the 3b eligibility.

Yeah, I did draft him. I was originally planning on getting Kemp but decided on Cabrera the last couple of days before the draft. REALLY hasn't paid off. Cabrera has been just OK for me so far. I was really planning on him doing some carrying of my team this year. Oh well, at least I have elventybillion starting pitchers on my roster that I am able to use every week.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#12 Rick Vaughn 99

Rick Vaughn 99

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Facebook:kloyer5
  • LocationAnchorage, AK

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:14 PM

Yeah, I did draft him. I was originally planning on getting Kemp but decided on Cabrera the last couple of days before the draft. REALLY hasn't paid off. Cabrera has been just OK for me so far. I was really planning on him doing some carrying of my team this year. Oh well, at least I have elventybillion starting pitchers on my roster that I am able to use every week.

I would gladly take Cabrera off your hands. Maybe a combo of Carlos Beltran and... Let me know.
- die hard fanclub member #001

#13 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:26 AM

I would gladly take Cabrera off your hands. Maybe a combo of Carlos Beltran and... Let me know.

Probably not going to get him away from me. He isn't going to stay down all season and well this is a keeper league and all.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#14 Katie

Katie

Wait, is this not ChristianMingle.com?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • Twitter:@katiekatcubs

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:54 AM

Johann Santana in the 14th round and Bumgarner are my best. A few good keepers in Zobrist and Dee Gordon

Worst? Not sure yet. I guess Tim Stauffer since he's been on the DL this whole time.
Peg: Oh Al! Did you miss me?
Al: With every bullet, so far.

#15 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 13 May 2012 - 06:26 PM

Eric FUCKING Hosmer in the 3rd round is killing me right now.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).