20 replies to this topic

#16 Crockett

Crockett

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:29 PM

Baseball America for one. They love his power, but they have also bragged on his swing mechanics, pitch recognition, patience, consistency, and ability to drive the ball to all fields.

His weight and power tend to draw all the headlines (good and bad), but there is more to Vogelbach than 500 foot home runs. I had hoped he'd be in Peoria already, but we should get to see him in action before too much longer. We'll have a better idea where he is then.

BA is the only scout/scouting service who publishes stuff for the public who believes that then.

#17 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:41 PM

Baseball America for one. They love his power, but they have also bragged on his swing mechanics, pitch recognition, patience, consistency, and ability to drive the ball to all fields.

His weight and power tend to draw all the headlines (good and bad), but there is more to Vogelbach than 500 foot home runs. I had hoped he'd be in Peoria already, but we should get to see him in action before too much longer. We'll have a better idea where he is then.

BA is the only scout/scouting service who publishes stuff for the public who believes that then.

I'm having a hard time finding anyone that disagrees with Luke. Nobody has anything bad to say about his bat. Every report I've read says he has loose wrists, compact swing, good eye, and hits the ball hard a lot. The only concerns I've read on him are his weight and his footwork at first base. Average rankings are plus contact, plus plus power, plus batting eye, concerns on size and defense. Could you post some links to the negative reports please? I'm curious to see what they have to say about Vogelbach.

#18 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:05 PM

During spring training one of the national writers (either Keith Law or Kevin Goldstein, I don't remember which) watched exactly two Vogelbach at bats and decreed that Vogelbach has lost no weight since before the draft, has a slow bat, has terrible pitch recognition, and will not hit the breaking pitch.

The overwhelmingly vast mountain of opinion contradicts every single one of those points item for item, but that one national writer's tweet got more press than the sum total of the more credible experts combined.

Unfortunately, I suspect we'll see that same (inaccurate) report repeated regularly until we see Vogelbach playing regularly.

#19 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,642 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:13 PM

During spring training one of the national writers (either Keith Law or Kevin Goldstein, I don't remember which) watched exactly two Vogelbach at bats and decreed that Vogelbach has lost no weight since before the draft, has a slow bat, has terrible pitch recognition, and will not hit the breaking pitch.

The overwhelmingly vast mountain of opinion contradicts every single one of those points item for item, but that one national writer's tweet got more press than the sum total of the more credible experts combined.

Unfortunately, I suspect we'll see that same (inaccurate) report repeated regularly until we see Vogelbach playing regularly.

It was Law.

#20 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:18 PM

It was Law.

There's a shock.
Please don't feed the psychos.

#21 ced landrum

ced landrum

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:50 AM

Meh on Law. Vogelbach has apparently struggled in Arizona in extd. It will be interesting to see how he plays in Boise. I'm not sure where you are getting your info Crockett. His bat and eye have long been lauded as his ticket. It has always been size and D that get the negative attention.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).