fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 11 May 2012 - 05:25 PM

I wants to hear more on this thought. Why not try rizzo at third? I mean he could be like Miguel cabrera. Yes i know he came up as a OF

Rizzo is left handed, and you don't tend to see very many left handed third baseman. I don't think he has the quickness to play the hot corner, either.

As a left-handed person who has played third base before I can say that it's nearly impossible to throw accurately to first unless you set your feet so your back faces home plate which is just awkward and a waste of time.

#17 EQ76

EQ76

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:17 AM

Bottom line, if LaHair keeps producing, (which all signs show he will) then he'll have a spot in this lineup. He's everything we need and it would be foolish to let him go. Rizzo has proven nothing at the MLB level, of course we all assume he will, but still.

One problem we need to think about is if LaHair does become our LF, Brett Jackson gets called up, Campana, DeJesus in RF.. Rizzo, Stewart, etc.. we could have a TON of lefties in our lineup. Not sure if that's a good thing or not to be that left handed.

I think management will see how this year plays out..what player's values are, who's worth keeping and who's worth a lot in a trade. I believe we'll have 1 regular right handed hitter in the OF, 2 lefties. I also believe that both LaHair and Rizzo will be in this lineup unless one gets injured or falls apart.

If Rizzo comes up and produces and LaHair is gonna be a .300 hitter with 30HR's, 100+ RBI, he'll be in the OF, no doubt about it. That kind of production is way too hard to find, especially if it comes that cheap.

#18 Caleb

Caleb

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Facebook:Caleb Shreves
  • LocationSt. Louis :(

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:07 PM

I'm sold on Rizzo at first and LaHair in the OF (based on the "both of them good, both with the Cubs possibility) but I would still like to know more about LaHair's OF experience and a thorough assessment of Rizzo's defensive potential.

And too many rockstar lefties in the lineup? I can handle that problem. Castro is a righty not going anywhere, and I have a feeling that we won't have both Ian Stewart and David Dejesus in the next few years. Barney is also a righty and, for better or worse, probably more likely to stick at second for a few years. I think we all want to see if Campy can get onbase enough to make himself a legit starter. I wouldn't put money on it myself, but it would be pretty sweet. Watching what he does to the defense (especially the rhythm of the pitcher) when he gets on first is a lot of fun.

And Davy Crocket- this discussion doesn't mean that Rizzo has to be called up so soon that the team loses a year of control. But it's likely that we'll have to have a plan ready for his arrival as soon as this season, so we might as well start postulating how we're going to handle it.

And that, my friend, is what "The Bleachers" is designed for.

#19 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 18 May 2012 - 07:28 AM

I think a lot of lefties in the lineup worked for the Phillies a few years back.

DeJesus can play CF in a pinch if LaHair is more comfortable playing RF/Soriano playing in LF the same game. Soriano stays on the roster for another year. The FO has shown they were willing to eat $15M+ in salary this year, so it becomes addition by subtraction in 2014.

The lineup will have to put Starlin back in the 2 hole, because we will have 2 legit power guys in the 3+4.

CF DeJesus L / Campana L
SS Castro R
RF LaHair L
1B Rizzo L
3B Stewart L / Vitters (?) R
LF Soriano R / Jackson L
C Clevenger L / Castillo R
2B Barney R / Cardenas L

#20 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 18 May 2012 - 07:53 AM

I think Rizzo will start out batting 6th at the highest. I think I remember Svuem and Epstein both saying something to that effect this spring, something about not wanting to put too much pressure on him right away. I am also starting to think that the Cubs may keep Soriano around to give them a right handed bat to play in the outfield, and he may be more effective with more days off to rest his knees.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).