24 replies to this topic

#1 Stinky Pete

Stinky Pete

The Woodward AND Bernstein of the Message Board

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:22 PM

Spring Training gave us all the posts we could handle about how horrible this team was going to be. I read so many that said how bad the Cubs would be and the poster had better things to do than watch bad baseball. And of course there were all of the doomsday posts about how bad baseball would kill attendance and therefore kill the budget and they would be crippled like the pirates for years to come. I harbor no ill will towards anyone expressing their opinion. If you choose not to watch or attend, it really doesn't bother me.
What I have been seeing though is a fun team to watch, regardless of record. I really like the extended at bats and aggressiveness on the base paths. Very refreshing.
I know some of you may think I am a bit high on the koolaid and recent slight success. Not really. The change is something I noticed back when they looked like they would have trouble winning 50 this year. I grant you it is more fun when they are winning. And momma didn't raise no dummy. I'm not booking my Chicago hotel in October or anything. 75 is still my over/under for wins. But I find this team soooo much more entertaining than say the 2006 Cubs or even 2011.
Thoughts?

#2 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,642 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:54 PM

How many times have your thoughts changed watching this one game?

#3 Stinky Pete

Stinky Pete

The Woodward AND Bernstein of the Message Board

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:56 PM

Haha. Disapointing? Hell yeah. But very exciting. And it's more about the way they play before the bullpens dicks them in the dick.

#4 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 12 May 2012 - 12:21 AM

looks like I'm bringing out the paper bag when I head out to a cubs game this summer

#5 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 06:59 AM

I'm with you SP. Much more entertaining than last year's abomination.
Please don't feed the psychos.

#6 BlueHorizons

BlueHorizons

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationMishawaka, Indiana

Posted 12 May 2012 - 07:56 AM

Entertaining, yes... So far, there have been just a few "blow outs"... other than that, the Cubs have had their chances to win most games. I won't go as far as saying "a joy to watch"... as I'm really struggling with watching the bullpen struggle game after game.

BUT, I like what I am seeing for the most part. We just have to somehow produce more runs consistently and find some pitchers that can actually put a ball in the strike zone once in a while.

Adjusting my rose colored glasses while I type this, I think the Cubs are closer to being able to challenge than what a lot of people think. IF there was a decent bullpen, they'd be over .500 now, at least. A few more pieces that we all hope Rizzo and Jackson might be able to fit..... who knows?

#7 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,055 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:45 AM

A few more pieces that we all hope Rizzo and Jackson might be able to fit..... who knows?

I read on the internets this morning that Brett Jackson was the next Gary Scott. So, yeah, there's that.

#8 FFP

FFP

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationWorcester County, Massachusetts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:49 AM

Those "unwatchable" off season comments confused me. Good topic.
This team IS fun to watch. The painful part isn't from having no chance--it is from being so close so many times. But, the ball is going to bounce the other way. (And we are going to get some help in the pen, very soon.) We will win more games, and those same naysayers will be watching, too. That's cool.

#9 Segal27

Segal27

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Twitter:Segal27
  • LocationBuffalo Grove

Posted 12 May 2012 - 02:37 PM

A few more pieces that we all hope Rizzo and Jackson might be able to fit..... who knows?

I read on the internets this morning that Brett Jackson was the next Gary Scott. So, yeah, there's that.

yeah uhhh no.

#10 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 12 May 2012 - 03:01 PM

Well said Stinky one, even when they are losing, I am enjoying watching this team play, and grow, and improve from day to day.

#11 rcleven

rcleven

Bleacher Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 04:10 PM

This team is so far from contending it is like being in a cave and not being able to see the sunlight. I am the prototypical die hard Cub fan. I will die a Cub fan. I do know good baseball and I have not seen any on the North side on any constant basis. I have never gone thru a rebuild process but believe we have one of the best in the business at CEO.and a good CEO will surround him or herself with bright suscessful people.
I think people are being too agressive on the time frame it is going to take to stop this ship and turn it around. Don't see this team being competive till the end of Theo's contract.

#12 BFiddy

BFiddy

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Twitter:Bridger_Macau
  • Facebook:Bridger Fetters
  • LocationMacau

Posted 12 May 2012 - 06:26 PM

The bullpen is so bad.

I enjoy watching a young team that plays the game the right way...but it is infinitely frustrating to watch a bullpen give away game after game by failing to throw the ball over the plate.

I am a glutton for punishment, so I will keep watching no matter what happens...but the Cubs won't be fun to watch until they have a bullpen that can hold a lead. If they don't, then we end up watching every game with a sense in the pit of our stomachs that no lead is safe...
And that's a bad miss...

#13 hawkcub

hawkcub

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationN.E. Iowa

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:40 AM

If you expected this team to win right now you were/are going to be disappointed. This years team wasn't going to do that. If you look at signs of progress this years team will excite you. I personally think the Cubs are closer to being competitive then people think they are. This is a year not to look at the record type of year.

#14 Hector Villanueva

Hector Villanueva

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 03:59 PM

I don't get why Scott Maine is not up with the bug club. He throws strikes and gets people out. Can't say the same thing for some other members of the pen.

#15 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:13 AM

I look at all of the mistakes. When fundamentals were preached all throughout Spring Training, I can't stand watching botched plays or steal attempts from guys who should not be stealing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).